Sign in to follow this  

Now I know why they are called "Pigs"!

took my new to me XRL up in the Sierras and tried to run up a steep dirt road that had numerous baseball to basketball sized rocks all over the trail. at first I tried to ride on the high side of the trail that was all dirt but kept sliding down so when I got into the rocks I got pitched off! not fun trying to wrestle that porky bike up at 8500' elevation and it did not help that I had to lift it uphill! finally got it upright and was trying to turn it around when it fell over again! I was out of breath so I sat down on a downed log, meanwhile a hiker happened to be walking down the road and he was kind enough to help me lift it and get it turned around. when it dropped the first time I felt/heard my right ankle "pop", it was a good thing I had a Joe Rocket padded jacket or I would have had bruises all over my back from the boulders. the boulders left lots of dirt imprints on the back of the jacket. I still rode the bike around for a few more hours on less extreme roads and am now sitting at home with an ice bag on my ankle. I have been up that same road a few times in my 4x4 Tacoma with no problems........

only damage to bike was a bent right peg and the throttle won't return.

Been there done that, no fun. But for me after a while and tweaking in a few things you will most likely be up there again. It sucks when the pig reminds you it's not a 200lb 2 stroke.

Loosen the screws holding your throttle on and move the assembly out a little. That will eliminate your cruise control.

I can sympathize. I thought it was pretty bad having a 220lb CR250 fall downhill on me in the middle of a hillclimb. Then a hunter on a quad ran me off a dirt road and I dumped my 600 down a brushy hillside and had to wrestle it back and ride it ~5mi of trail with my whole right side bashed up and no front brake. A 300lb XR in the bushes and injuries is a little worse than a low-speed tipover on a 220lb CR. :)

Yep, I've been there also. :D

300+ lb bike laying on it's side, 105 degree heat with no shade, banged up and bleeding knee, camelbak low on water, gas leaking out of the tank....and you're too exhausted to even stand yourself up, let alone your bike :worthy:

Builds Character! :)

"you're too exhausted to even stand yourself up,"

Reminds me of my days riding Enduro's..Five,Six,Seven hours of mud bog and hills..So exhausted from pushing up most of the hills you're vomiting.No control over the bike cause you're soaked to the skin and suffering from hypothermia.. gets darn wet down here and the mud is thick.The so called knobbly is just a slick..going down hills was worse than going up as braking was non existent..just cling on and hope for the best .The organizers of those events were pure sadists.It's fun to talk about it now but was sheer hell when you were there

I can relate from yesterdays ride...Came up on a tree across the trail,could not turn around and loop cause i was low on gas (found that i had enough to run out 200 yrds. before the truck)The tree was about chest high BUT....lucky for me i had taken the 125 for that ride and left the pig at home.:)

DSCN4980.jpg

this right after the log crossing looking down at the river where the truck is.

I can relate from yesterdays ride...Came up on a tree across the trail,could not turn around and loop cause i was low on gas (found that i had enough to run out 200 yrds. before the truck)The tree was about chest high BUT....lucky for me i had taken the 125 for that ride and left the pig at home.:D

DSCN4980.jpg

this right after the log crossing looking down at the river where the truck is.

You'd probably have had enough gas with your piggie. Yeah it's heavy but it'll go anywhere the rider dares.

I obviously don't know the size of the tree butt...

http://www.motoxmag.co.uk/downloads/TopTips-Enduro-7.pdf

My back's been screwed up for a couple of weeks, I think it happened lifting the pig onto a stand when adjusting valves a couple weeks ago. Lift with your back.:worthy::) I can ride the streets (aggressively) but couldn't pick it up if my life depended on it, so no trails for me since last sunday.

When it tips go for the petcock valve & shut it off before it pees all the gas out.

Yeah those pigs can fly..Beautiful looking country their Scalejockey..Looks much like NZ and I could imagine as demanding in the wet.

Yep, I've been there also. :D

300+ lb bike laying on it's side, 105 degree heat with no shade, banged up and bleeding knee, camelbak low on water, gas leaking out of the tank....and you're too exhausted to even stand yourself up, let alone your bike :worthy:

Builds Character! :)

I usally sit by the bike and wait till my sons ketch up or turn around and find me . Then ask them to take care of the old man. I'm 56 , they are in their mid 20's. I am helping them build their character.

I know it's hard to do but when riding on a trail that looks like a rocky riverbed it's best to keep looking farther forward, find your path (within reason) and don't look directly where your front tire is going. Stand on your pegs and look ahead. Your bike will miraculously clear every obstacle. The XRL is like a tractor. It will tractor up and over and through nearly everything. It is a heavy pig - no doubt. The guys I ride with are in their twenties and ride (2) RM125s, (1) CRF 450 and a KX450. I ride everywhere they ride but I ride a bit slower due to an arthritic back.

After dropping it I'll bet you loved having that button. :)

I know it's hard to do but when riding on a trail that looks like a rocky riverbed it's best to keep looking farther forward, find your path (within reason) and don't look directly where your front tire is going. Stand on your pegs and look ahead. Your bike will miraculously clear every obstacle. The XRL is like a tractor. It will tractor up and over and through nearly everything. It is a heavy pig - no doubt. The guys I ride with are in their twenties and ride (2) RM125s, (1) CRF 450 and a KX450. I ride everywhere they ride but I ride a bit slower due to an arthritic back.

After dropping it I'll bet you loved having that button. :)

you better believe I loved having that magic button! no way I could have kicked the beast over if it was kick start because I severely sprained or broke something in my right foot/ankle. will have to go to get an x-ray today as my foot and ankle is all black n blue and swollen twice the size of normal. I found several bruises on my back and arse from landing on the boulders when the bike spit me off too. good thing I had a padded jacket on or I could have broken ribs as well.

i took a little digger over the bars in a rocky river bed last week got banged up pretty good. back is still kind of sore but yeat after i lay there for sec and catch my breath the xrr is still running. i finally got it back up and shut it off.

yea that was no fun starting that bike up after that and the ride back hurt even more. guess thats what i get for trying to ride that heavy beast like i was on my CR

When I first got mine in '05, I was getting off it to go have lunch. So I swing a leg off it and lean it onto the kickstand......

I forgot to lower the stand!:)

I could only slow its rate of fall to the ground...

When I first got mine in '05, I was getting off it to go have lunch. So I swing a leg off it and lean it onto the kickstand......

I forgot to lower the stand!:)

I could only slow its rate of fall to the ground...

yikes! years ago (ok! 30 years ago!) I had a Yamaha XS750 road bike. I rolled up to a Yamaha stealership right in front of a huge plate glass window that was near the parts counter. I started to lean it over on the the stand and it kept going......I still had my helmet on and hit my helmeted head on that glass window. I did manage to wrestle the bike up, started it up and rode on out of there........I could see people looking at me from inside the store.

getting back to the pigs, how hard was it for you to lift yours up? I could barely lift mine uphill and it took everything I had to lift it (I am an old fart)

I did the same thing Martinfan. I'm a big guy and managed to catch and pull the pig back up:applause: , along with pulling something in my back out:crazy: . i guess sometimes its just better to let it fall and help it down slow instead.

Hatch

... I could barely lift mine uphill and it took everything I had to lift it (I am an old fart)

I have found that sometimes it's better on you (not the bike) to spin the bike around (on the ground) so that the tires are now on the down hill side and it's more up-righted. Yes you'll end up facing the other direction (which means you can go back a little ways and take another shot at the trail, or at least stand it up easier and turn it around) and yes you may add a few more scratches. But that is better than a blown disk in your back. Been there, done that.

yikes! years ago (ok! 30 years ago!) I had a Yamaha XS750 road bike. I rolled up to a Yamaha stealership right in front of a huge plate glass window that was near the parts counter. I started to lean it over on the the stand and it kept going......I still had my helmet on and hit my helmeted head on that glass window. I did manage to wrestle the bike up, started it up and rode on out of there........I could see people looking at me from inside the store.

getting back to the pigs, how hard was it for you to lift yours up? I could barely lift mine uphill and it took everything I had to lift it (I am an old fart)

Watch this.