Sign in to follow this  

Bought myself a Monty...with Pedals!

I have two words of advice for anyone who wants to give pedal trials a try....

SHIN PADS.

I thought the difference would ruin me on the moto bike, but so far, so good. The brake / clutch / front / rear discombobulation seems to go away instinctively after a quick warm up. Great Fun. :)

MontyTrials1.jpg

I've been riding those for a few months. Never worn shin guards (and you can tell! :) )

Just picked this one up a few days ago:

zoopitbull.jpg

Just managed to gap 5ft yeasterday- Woohoo! :D

They do make excellent cross training though. Tons of good riders from each sport dabble in the other.

I think it was Toni Bou that said that he actually spends more time on the bicycle than on the moto!

It used to be that just about all the spanish trials riders were ex-bicycle trials champs.

Quick question, why no disc on the rear?

Really just weight. The disks are quite a bit heavier than rim brakes, and you really don't get as much grab or "lock" from them.

Only problem is that to get rim brakes to work well for trials, you have to grind the rims (basically scratching them up so that they are really rough), put tar on them, or both. When you do this, however, it eliminates any kind of modulation, the brakes become like light switches. If you try to use a ground rim brake like you would on a motorcycle, the pad would be gone in hours. So in order to have one brake with some modulation, most people run a disk brake in the front. And since most of the moves that really stress the brakes are on the rear wheel, you don't have to worry about not having the strongest front brake.

Oh- I also made 5ft 6 inches today! :)

Really just weight. The disks are quite a bit heavier than rim brakes, and you really don't get as much grab or "lock" from them.

Only problem is that to get rim brakes to work well for trials, you have to grind the rims (basically scratching them up so that they are really rough), put tar on them, or both. When you do this, however, it eliminates any kind of modulation, the brakes become like light switches. If you try to use a ground rim brake like you would on a motorcycle, the pad would be gone in hours. So in order to have one brake with some modulation, most people run a disk brake in the front. And since most of the moves that really stress the brakes are on the rear wheel, you don't have to worry about not having the strongest front brake.

Oh- I also made 5ft 6 inches today! :worthy:

:):D thanks man

It's a ZOO! Pitbull. It is a high BB version though. I haven't seen any other ones like it though (I've only been riding for a few months, so that isn't saying much), so I guess it must have been some limited run or something. I know they don't make it any more.

The wheels on the Zoo almost look like mt bike wheels. I would seem to think they would be harder to ride on than the smaller - fatter tires on the monty. Are they for a different specific purpose?

I used to mt bike with a trials champ and he constantly amazed me with what you could do on a bike. It didnt matter what the bike was - as long as it had two wheels.

Yeah, they are downhill rims. Like everything else on the bike, they're double-wall, extra metal, super heavy. :ride: I think that as time goes on I might upgrade to some lighter parts, but for now it's fine.

On the bright side, I don't think it could get any heavier! :D

Surprisingly, I find that this bike is FAR easier to ride than my old Onza (very similar to the other bike posted up). The bigger wheels are supposed to make it harder to balance, but I find it more forgiving and more like balancing the motorcycle. And the Botom Bracket height is just about double most normal bikes, so that should have made it less stable, and harder to ride. But for some reason I'm finding it much more controlable and responsive than the relaxed geo of the old bike. In the first 5 minutes on it, I was doing stuff better than I was doing on the old bike. :)

And yes, that does mean that my wrist is finally getting better. It actually seems like the more I exersize it, the less it hurts. It still bothers me a bit, but I should be ready to ride in a few days! :worthy:

Hey YZ,

Take it slow with that wrist bud,I know it feels good enough when you pull up or push down but one twist and you be paying the price for a lengthy time my friend.Mine still f%* since a hap hazzard hold on while wheeling down a pasture on my sherco.I should of let it go.Only to be out marking for Enduro 2 weeks latter(Felt better) and tweaked it and fell hard do to weak wrist almost breaking my leg.Bruising bone and still have wrist pain that seemingly is not going away anytime soon.That was back in may I think.

Be good to it. Bike are easier to fix.Like 2-Ply says.

Scott H

YZ is still young and heals quick compared to us old bastages hooked on Ibruprofen.