Sign in to follow this  

Which exhaust set-up will be louder...??

Well here's the deal, I want my truck louder, but also to sound better. My truck is an 02 Silverado with a 4.8 Right now i have true duals from the cat-back with 2.25 pipe, with dual (one for each pipe) flowmaster 10's, leading out to about a 65 degree angle with 4" tips. And its not as loud as most would think, its mellow, but has the pop-pop-pop type sound when just cruising, probably because of the 4.8, but its mellow and not as bad as what straits would do it. I was wondering if i should make the duals run into one muffler, then back out into the existing duals. Im sure it would be louder, being thats how my old truck was and it sounded awsome, mellow but LOUD. and should i keep a flowmaster 10. But i talked to the exhaust guy today and he thought that y-ing it into one muffler and back out would make it quieter, what do you guys think?? Thanks in advance, Drew

Here are some sweet diagrams i made lol.

Current Set-up

exhaust2.jpg

thinking about doing, hoping to be louder and better milage

exhaust.jpg

to be honest, neither you should run an x-pipe after the cats, and still run dual mufflers,

is this yours?

if it is, keep it the way it is, it sounds damn good IMO

to be honest, neither you should run an x-pipe after the cats, and still run dual mufflers,

is this yours?

if it is, keep it the way it is, it sounds damn good IMO

Yeah, that would my video. Thanks, i think it sounds pretty good to, but its loud revin up and all, but just drivin its not that loud. I'd like to do high flow cats, but i was looking for a cheap change. I might just keep it the way it is, or just put a dual in dual out muffler in place.

That sounds really good, if you want it to be loud take the tips off and dump it towards the ground before the axle, the sound will bounce off the pavement and be pretty loud. I have a flowmaster 40 on my ranger thats dumped before the axle and for a 4 cylinder it is very loud going down the street when i get into it.

Yeah i've thought alot about dumping them, but i really like the looks of the tips on there. And im not about to dump them and keep the tips on it.

Yeah i've thought alot about dumping them, but i really like the looks of the tips on there. And im not about to dump them and keep the tips on it.

Ya that is true haha, i think it looks cool when you see nothing but its loud as hell.

If you replace the flow 10 with a flowmaster 40, or glasspack that will make it louder and if you want it really loud take out the cats. or leave the cats and straight pipe it

^ it had strait pipes on it when i bought it, and the sound made me want to run it into a tree

If you don't like the straight pipe sound then there isn't much you can do except to try and get rid of the cats. The 10 series is a race muffler that doesn't really offer much at all for sound deadening, its just used to make the officials happy. I really like how it sounds now, on the video at least.

i say 4 inch pipes... get rid of the 2.5's

That sounds really good, if you want it to be loud take the tips off and dump it towards the ground before the axle, the sound will bounce off the pavement and be pretty loud. I have a flowmaster 40 on my ranger thats dumped before the axle and for a 4 cylinder it is very loud going down the street when i get into it.

It'll also make it louder inside the cab!!! Keep that in mind!