Sign in to follow this  

Desert Racing on 2003 CRF450R

I am planning on converting my 2003 CRF450R which is currently set up for hare scrambles over to desert kit. I currently has a great belly shield, heavy fly wheel, Radiator covers, steering stabilizer, Steel sprockets, Bark busters and a few other bits. It has a stock tank and I would like some advice from thumpertalk users on what I need to do for serious desert racing like the San Felipe 250 and Baja 500 races. I cant seem to find a tank bigger than the 3.4 from IMS for my 03. Does anyone know of a bigger tank or is 3.4 enough for the San Felipe and or Baja? I was looking into a pair of HID 8" from Baja Design. Any thoughts on this? Any advice here would be much appreciated. I am an experienced woods racer down here in florida but have no experience in desert racing.

I would install some machine guns. Mexico is crazy right now!

FUNNY ... But true !!!!!!

stainless intake valves!

Yea, I ditched those titanium valves about 3 seasons ago. They did not fail or anything but when I replaced them I opted for steel.

An X would be a bit more comfortable and better suited for running across the dez IMHO.

I own the R so it would not warrant buying an X. I also have the forks and shocks redone for offroad by RG3 so they are not as harsh as they where stock. I ran 2 seasons of woods/woops hare scrambles on the stock ones before trying my buddies KTM and seeing the light.

I would install some machine guns. Mexico is crazy right now!

I'll be packing my HK P200sk in my camelback pocket for sure.

Any other advice is truly appreciated. Like how do you handle fuel? Do you basically need someone on a support truck cutting ahead of you to refuel?

Yup, the logistics of a desert race is half the battle. MAny of the races in the BITD organization will require fuel support. The point to point races usually require a minimum of two teams (chase trucks) to keep up with you as some of the pit locations are difficult to get to and sometimes are similar in mileage. Bike traveling an average of 5o+ mph and chase truck sitting on road in traffic = losing the race.

Also, 18" rear and moose heavy duty tubes are mandatory in our deserts...

18" rear and moose heavy duty tubes are mandatory in our deserts...

Thanx for the logistics info. Looks like I will have to shanghi some buds to be fuel stops. The moose requirement makes total sense to me but could you explain why the 18" rear. My CRF has a 19. Thanx

i know the profiles of 18in tires are fatter and taller to reduce rock/rim induced failures becasue the rim is quite stronger......taller sidewallls are the main benefiting factor

Thanx for the logistics info. Looks like I will have to shanghi some buds to be fuel stops. The moose requirement makes total sense to me but could you explain why the 18" rear. My CRF has a 19. Thanx

I believe there is a company that will pit for you as well. I will do some searching.

Bad ass! I'm glad I ended up on this forum. Thanx a ton for all the info. I'll keep you guys posted on how this progresses. This weekend is my first step to getting to the 1000 next year. I'm switching from hare scrambles this season to Enduros. This weekend is the first of the season.

So, basically, you mount a 19" tire on an 18" rim, thereby changing it's profile?

So, basically, you mount a 19" tire on an 18" rim, thereby changing it's profile?

No, you have to buy a 18" tire and wheel set up. Our deserts are "famous" for bending wheels like they were made of tin foil.

I have been racing desert and GP style for about 10 years and the place to spend your money is Suspension ,dampner, tank and finally a good wheel set including hubs and stronger spokes. if you get a good set you will be able to get different spacers and carriers and use your wheels on any bike. So if you get a newer Honda you will be able run your wheels just by changing out the spacers.Desert racing will DESTROY stock wheels and spokes.we usually will have a stock wheel set up as a back up but it's a last case scenario.

Ok, ordered the 3.3 tank for the CRF... Note to self, don't ride an enduro in Florida two days after a tropical storm has gone by. Sitting in the middle of a swamp out of a movie, with my bike up to the gas tank in muck so thick and viscous that I could not even swing it side to side much less up, all I could think of was the sweet sweet feeling of racing in the dry dry desert. I wonder how many unknown pathogens I ingested via mouth and osmosis in that swamp.

The 3.4 will work fine. Pay baja pits and they will have fuel every 40-50 miles. You can't run two 8 inch lights with that stator. Definatly put Faction MX stailess valves and run bib moose in the front and the rear. I have the same set up on my 450r and it all worked great placing 6th in our class in the 500 without any problem at all.

I have a 45or that I used for the baja 500 and I put the 3.4 gallon tank, paied baja pits for fuel every 40-50 miles it was only 300 bucks for the whole race. I put an 8 inch light on it because that's all my stator could run and it works great. I also put Faction Mx stainless valves in it and I ran bib moose in the fron. Everthing worked great and we got a 6th place in our class for the 500. I didn't have any problems at all. Check out Bja pits.