Sign in to follow this  

Should i sell my bike??

I have had my 2002 yz426f listed on craigslist for the past month or so and i just got an offer of 1900 dollars for it. The guy put a deposit of 500 on it untill he can get to the bank on monday. Now im starting to have sellers remorse. Hearing it haul *ssss down the road makes me wonder if i should sell it. I spent the past couple of monthes and basically rebuilt it from the ground up with powdecoated parts and some other things. I was wanting to sell it to upgrade to a newer 450 b/c the 426 just did not seem to feel right when i was jumping it. It never seemed balanced to me. So here are my questions...

The bike is almost perfect but needs tires NOW ( i even bought some and i have not put them on..they will not be given with the purchase of the bike)and could use a new set of sprockets and a chain.....

Would you guys realistically sell this bike for 1900$ if it was yours???

Can i upgrade to a newer 450(preferably yamaha) for around 2000$?

AM i doing the right thing????

I need help making my decision...THANKS

100_0659.jpg

100_0657.jpg

100_0656.jpg

100_0654.jpg

100_0653.jpg

100_0649.jpg

100_0648.jpg

100_0647.jpg

100_0645.jpg

100_0644.jpg

Why sell it. Its such a clean bike just stroke it. Thats what they did with the 2003 yz450f it didnt have 450cc displacement just stroked and they made the most brute power. But if you want a aluminum frame 450 i would say sell it for $2300 $1900 sounds like a steal for the guy buying it

Why sell it. Its such a clean bike just stroke it. Thats what they did with the 2003 yz450f it didnt have 450cc displacement just stroked and they made the most brute power. But if you want a aluminum frame 450 i would say sell it for $2300 $1900 sounds like a steal for the guy buying it

+1.

Do the Suspension to your weight and riding style by FC or or any good suspension tuner and you will be gold! The 400/426f's were serious power houses and reliable as all hell I guarantee its putting out the same power as the smoother later model 450's I would keep your bike,be polite and give that guy his 500 back and put some of the money you said you had (2000 I think right?) into it and youll have some extra to buy a Leat or something.But by all means if you dont like the feel of your yamaha sell it.

yea, but isnt the suspsension and handling just outdated....i mean the bike is going on seven years old???

she's a beauty, great deal, for buyer, let her go and move on, get your new bike, they make bikes everyday, don't fall in love w/ them.

No need to sell it, The 426s are monsters. The best things to do are update with the SSS suspension off a newer bike which will cost around $600, spend a little more sending it to FC and you wont have that imbalance feel anymore. An imbalanced feel when jumping usually means that either your forks or Shock is rebounding too fast.

Before you sell it and are out on a great bike try to really get a good ride on a newer bike, but dont just limit yourself to Yamahas, the other brands 450s are great bikes and they all have a very different feel to them.

If you still feel the need to sell it, then you should sell for at least 2200. Ive never owned a 426 but have a some fun rides on them. And what is that little tube in front of your gas tank?

what is that little tube in front of your gas tank?

busted bones...that tube is the oil fill neck. the older yami's had the oil tank in the frame. i heard yamaha did away with it because the oil sloshing in the frame caused lubrication problems? not positive though...my 01 never had issues with that...

the 426's are definitely very fast bikes. a buddy of mine had his clocked at 87 mph i think? fast as hell outa the hole for sure. even though it has its +'s, i would personally let it go but definitely not for $1900. as some people said before, atleast low to mid $2000's. i know its been a couple years but in 06 i sold my 01 250f which was loaded with aftermarket stuff and clean for $3100...your bike is only a year older than mine was at the time cuz mine was 5 years old at the time...nice bike though...it looks very clean in the pics. good luck :) oh and also, if i understood your first post correctly, i don't think you will be able to get any newer, decent, 450 for near $2000...good luck though man!!

• Like 1

Sell it. I did the same thing with my 85, I rode it one last time before I sold it and i didnt want to sell it. Just keep saying bigger and better.

yea.as good as she was i think its time to let it go.I have it listed at 2300 and i keep getting offers of like 1500...I just dont see anyone giving me more than 1900 anytime soon. I am sure i could get a few hundred more but that coul be a long time down the road. i dont even want to ride it b/c it looks so good. I am just ready to move on to something more modern even if i have to wait to find a good deal. Thanks for all the input though.

yea.as good as she was i think its time to let it go.I have it listed at 2300 and i keep getting offers of like 1500...I just dont see anyone giving me more than 1900 anytime soon. I am sure i could get a few hundred more but that coul be a long time down the road. i dont even want to ride it b/c it looks so good. I am just ready to move on to something more modern even if i have to wait to find a good deal. Thanks for all the input though.

You just gotta wait. When I sold my bike it took a while and I kept getting offers of $1500, then when I sold it I got asking price!

if you want to sell it now, you most likely are going to want to sell it again. ride a 250 2t for a few days, put out good power, but they feel so much lighter than those 4 strokes. i would sell that guy the bike. wouldnt that suck if you were going to buy such a great bike, put $500 down on it, but then the guy said hes not selling it?

i mean i would def give him his money back. I know it would not be right but he could easily try to back out on my as well. Not as likely b/c i have his money but i have to make sure im am doing the right thing for me...

Your bike is super dooper clean. One trip to a muddy trail and it'll look dirty. Granted, the parts on your bike look new though.

You sure have a well loved yami there. Just looking at it I would have a hard time letting it go for less then $2400. Its such a bad time to be selling right now that it may take a long time to get what you would like out of it. Ive seen some ok 450s priced a little higher then 2 grand but again your in a buyers market time and with some searching you may just find the perfect bike for you. I think there are alot of 450s out there that people have bought only to find out they are to much for them to handle and they are practically giving them away. The 250 2t is a good option to think about also. You can forsure find a good one in your present price range maybe cheaper. Kind of boils down to what you really want as far as power delivery and handling.

If I was you, I would take off some of the goodies like rims, etc, and save them for your next bike, or sell 'em on ebay, That way, when someone low balls you on price, you'll still make out the same in the long run.

I'd sell it. You had it listed for a month and finally got an offer. In a couple of months it will be seven years old. Being clean and nice looking help sell a bike. It doesn't always mean you'll get more money.

This is a funny post because I just sold my 01 426 for 1900.00 and it was not near as clean as your 426. I was in the same position as you, so I bought a 07 YZ 450 from e-bay for 3,600.00. The bike has maybe 10 hours on it and I love it. Starting is night and day better than the 426 and you can tell that it's lighter. But, I miss that bottom hit that my 426 had. I do miss the 426 and did regret it for a couple days but I am now happy I made the right choice. Hope this helps.... :)

You agreed to sell it and took a $500 deposit. Stand by your word and sell it. Only a spode would back out of a deal after accepting a deposit. "Man Up" and sell it.

CoKTM