Sign in to follow this  

WA Plates

Most of the posts on WA plates for dirtbikes seem to be negative because of the problems associated with getting plates, but in reading the WA State requirements I see some positives. Sure, branded titles or a prior OHV sticker bars you from getting plates but the good news is if your bike is not DOT certified by the manufacturer the requirements to operate a MC on the roads in WA is very short:

Tail light

Brake light

Headlight (that can be dipped to avoid blinding oncoming traffic)

Mirrors

Horn

MC Endorsement on Driver's License

That's a pretty short list. Did I miss anything?

What's not on the list are turn signals, parking lights (need a battery), and DOT tires. Besides if you get stopped and something doesn't work getting a defective equipment citation is almost a non-event. Operating an improperly licensed vehicle is a more sever offense and could involve impound and arrest. Operating without the MC endorsement is cause for impound.

Perhaps I've been lucky (knock on wood) but I've been riding plated dirt bikes since the seventies, most with only a head light and a tail light, and have yet to have a problem with law enforcement.

I'm curious about others experience with LEOs and dirt bikes, with and without plates.

Most of the posts on WA plates for dirtbikes seem to be negative because of the problems associated with getting plates, but in reading the WA State requirements I see some positives. Sure, branded titles or a prior OHV sticker bars you from getting plates but the good news is if your bike is not DOT certified by the manufacturer the required equipment list to be street legal in WA is very short:

Tail light

Brake light

Headlight (that can be dipped to avoid blinding oncoming traffic)

Mirrors

Horn

That's a pretty short list. Did I miss anything?

What's not on the list are turn signals, parking lights (need a battery), and DOT tires. Besides if you get stopped and something doesn't work getting a defective equipment citation is almost a non-event. Operating an inproperly licenced vehicle is a more sever offense and could involve impound and arrest.

Perhaps I've been lucky (knock on wood) but I've been riding plated dirt bikes since the seventies, most with only a head light and a tail light, and have yet to have a problem with law enforcement.

I'm curious about others experience with LEOs and dirt bikes, with and without plates.

I dont ride mine down the interstate, just connect a trail to make a loop or sometimes, just tuckered out and take the easy way back (road, but this doesnt happen very often if at all) and have never h ad a problem. For some reason, I felt guilty when I did it on my Yamaha WR426F and my Yamaha WR450F, but not at all on my KTM 300 XC-W. I dont know why that is either. :):D

i just bought a 2007 ktm 250sx from oregon that I am hoping to get a plate for. I will post an update in awhile on how the process went.

Last fall I got my endorsement. Subsequently I rode my friends plated and Baja converted street legal XR250R onto the ferry to go home from Seattle. The WSP was at the terminal (Pier 52 downtown) who I just happened to putt on by slowly (we're staging vehicles to get on the ferry here). He gets in his car and turns on all the lights and sirens and then blocks my path and nearly prevents me from boarding the ferry that I just payed for.:banghead: They were loading at that moment but he found it very important to discuss these matters with me at that time.:)

He gives me a warning because the tail light and plate weren't perfectly perpendicular with the ground plane (ferry dock). Instead, they were mounted slightly off angle and somewhat followed the curvature of the fender. He didn't even ask to see the registration for the bike or inquire about the plate status (registered to friend not me). Instead, he focussed primarily on my endorsement and the stupid tail light.:banghead:

Contrast this experience with me smuggling a plated RM250, a non-plated KDX220 and XR650R across from Bainbridge to meet buyers in Seattle.:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :D:worthy::ride:

IMO Ferry Dock duty would be very boring and he wanted some entertainment. Don't know when the incident happened but my impression is that WA is trying to crack down on non-endorsed riders because of their very high accident rate (and deaths). Without that endorsement he could have impounded the bike.

I'll edit the post to add MC Endorsement to the required list.

I'm trying to figure out a way to challenge this 'policy'. It sure as heck isn't the law. The law clearly states the requirements. Problem is the WSP has us over a barrel because they won't perform the inspection. I've emailed DOL and WSP with no response. Seems to me that its the job of the WSP to ENFORCE the law and NOT to MAKE the law. Bunch of bs IMHO. Either show me the law that states that I can't do it or follow the law that we currently have. To my knowledge it doesn't say ANYWHERE that you can't comply to the letter with RCW's and plate your bike (there's no 'off road' exception). I wish the AMA would get behind this too. I emailed them as well with no response.

I agree, and with these gas prices these days, they should be encouraging us to use our highly efficient 2-wheeled machines. I believe it's time we petition the state to get this resolved once and for all.