Sign in to follow this  

Can balance be 'learned'?

I don't have very good balance and never did. We would walk the train tracks as kids and some of my friends could walk the rails for miles. I'd be lucky if I got 10 steps on them.

The guys I ride with have excellent balance and are getting faster on the trails than me. I try my best to improve my technique but feel limited because I always get out of balance - especially in the tight single track.

Can balance be 'learned' or is it something that is naturally gifted? If it can be learned, what can I do to learn it?

I plan to buy a Wii Fit as they are perfect for working on balance. What else can I do?

Thanks.

Some sporting good stores have a variety of platforms you stand on with a ball on the bottom. You need to balance while standing on the platform. Those are designed for improving balance and developing the muscles used for balance.

I think like any skill the more you do it the better you get at it. I been riding my mountain bike on a phone pole laying on the ground near my house. At first I could only stay on it a couple of feet, now I'm able to ride down the full 33 feet of it all the time.

I think balance improves the further ahead you look--like ride down a long 2x4or keep up on the center ridge between two quad ruts, you'll stay on if you look past the end of the board, you'll fall off if you look just ahead of the wheel. Relaxin and loosening up(stretching) helps too!!!

The muscles that control balance are often not worked out enough by most people. Better balance can be acheived through training and agility excercises. The platform with a rubber ball on the bottom is a great balance trainer. Also, this little contraption is one hell of a balance training help for minimal price. Damn fun too.

http://www.vewdo.com/

Though my balance sucks, I can usually do pretty well in the fast stuff. Whats making me realize I have to get better is riding in the tight twisty single-track. This stuff is like following deer trails on the sides of hills and through trees. You can't see more than 10 feet in front of you because that's around the next corner.

I'll try to find some things at the store that I can use to work on balance. Thanks.

This works great. Started using it when I was rehabing my hips.It works on balance and core strength.Also try a few Yoga classes. Great for balance and stretching. Relaxed muscles are quick muscles, allowing you to react quickly to a situation.

http://www.bosu.com/

balance in sports is an entirely learned thing. Only a few of us are naturally talented.

Is you hearing impaired at all? How is your eye sight? One or both of these can affect ones ballance. If thats not a problem, then practice what others have said. Look ahead! Looking down is a problem for all of us. Pick your spots early. Avoid looking and keying on things you DON"T want to hit, because you will inadvertently hit them all. The further ahead you plan your attack the better and faster you will be....

. Avoid looking and keying on things you DON"T want to hit, because you will inadvertently hit them all. The further ahead you plan your attack the better and faster you will be....

lol Can anybody explain that? If I look at a rock,rain rut ,cactus or practically any thing I DON"T want to hit, I'm like a moth to a flame!👍

Yoga/Pilates classes will improve your balance and core strength, both usually lacking in most people.

It's called "target fixation" and affects all motorcycle riding. Do a web search, there are some good articles out there.

I don't have very good balance and never did. We would walk the train tracks as kids and some of my friends could walk the rails for miles. I'd be lucky if I got 10 steps on them.

The guys I ride with have excellent balance and are getting faster on the trails than me. I try my best to improve my technique but feel limited because I always get out of balance - especially in the tight single track.

Can balance be 'learned' or is it something that is naturally gifted? If it can be learned, what can I do to learn it?

I plan to buy a Wii Fit as they are perfect for working on balance. What else can I do?

Thanks.

Yes Balance can be learned that is if you aren't in the neighborhood of 400lbs... Get one of those Big rubber balls that you see at the local put all the small business' out of business places. sit on it and do what all the arm and leg exercises you can think of. You will be standing on your seat in no time:thumbsup: Please don't buy a Wii That will only make your problems worse....

http://www.bigfitness.com/resbal.html?referral=adwords&kw=ExerciseBall&gclid=CIDGsp3GnZUCFQsQagodDH3Ckw

Unfortunately, I do have poor eye sight and hearing. That was my natural gift. I have to overcome that like I have throughout the rest of my life. I plan to start some balance exercises immediately. I am going to pair balance exercises with a workout routine. I need to strengthen the muscles that help to balance. I am also working on standing up on the bike. I have an area near my house that is full of obstacles and open fields. I have started to ride slowly and force myself to stand the entire time.

Like it or not, I am buying the Wii Fit. If you have ever seen it, the fit board is a board you stand on and all on screen exercises are related to balance. It is not really a game but more of a workout. Wouldn't have bought the Wii in the first place but it was a gift that couldn't be turned down. I may as well use it to my advantage. It surely won't hurt!

I really appreciate the responses.

It's called "target fixation" and affects all motorcycle riding. Do a web search, there are some good articles out there.

👍 Thanks ,

👍 Thanks ,

I don't know who came first but your avatar is very similar to another Thumpertalker!

Anyway, I am VERY familiar with target fixation. I am actually intrigued by it. I stare at that rock as it approaches - 75ft, 60ft, 40ft, 25ft, 10ft then 'BANG', I hit it! It is quite amazing because I am telling myself that entire 75ft to avoid it.

It's amazing how the mind works (or doesn't workk :worthy: )

I try and look ahead when possible but, as I said before, some of the areas are so tight that you can only see 15ft in front of you. This is slow pace riding (2nd gear). It is where I have the most trouble with balance.

I would obviously make a terrible trials rider!

Thats me exactly!!! When I'm riding fast(for me) I don't have the time to fixate on an object.I see it ,adjust my line if necessary,and move on . When I'm in slow single track, thats where I have problems. I've taken way more punishment in 2nd gear than in 4th. My balance is ok untill I center a rock,The one I tried to avoid, as big as a soccer ball. A couple of those and it makes for a long day.👍