Sign in to follow this  

My funny WR250R almost-buying experience

Hey folks:

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Well, after much research and riding - and realizing there is no "perfect" bike for everything - I decided on the WR250R. I called around to the stealers, settled on an OTD price for the WRR, and drove an hour to Clunkanut SputterSports (not their real name :) ) ready to shake hands.

Me: So, how's you're service department here?

Them: None better. They know these bikes like the back of their hands.

Me: Great, that's important to me.

Their service tech proceeded to give me a "walk around tour" of my new Yamaha.

Him: Now, it's important to choke these WR's when it's cold like this, but don't forget to shut it off when the engine warms up.

Me: Huh?

I let the guy flounder around a few minutes searching for the WR250R's carb.

Me: You know this is fuel-injected right?

Him: Oh, really? That's cool.

I went back to the Finance Dept. to settle up as my salesman came out with his manager.

Them: Uh, that price we agreed upon? It's a little too low. But since you're already down here we'll still honor it if you can get Dealer XYZ to match it. Otherwise, $xxxx.xx is the lowest we can go...

Me: That's called 'bait and switch,' right?

Them: We'd be losing money on this deal.

Me (as I walk out the door): It would've been nice if you'd brought this up before I drove two hours down here and back.

The amount in question was only $69, but it was the principle of the thing. I was frankly relieved to get out of the deal after losing confidence in both their customer and bike "service" departments.

So I'm still looking... Maybe now I'll hold out for the '09's.

Any other stealer stories out there?

Wow. Yeah that does not sound like a dealer I would want to deal with.

I had an OTD quote from the place I ended up buying mine and went into another dealership to sit on one. Decided to see what sort of deal they could offer me. The guy was over 7k total with destination charges and assembly etc, my OTD price with the other guy was 6199.

Oh and they told me they can't compete with the OTD guys because they don't do business the same way and buy all their bikes at auctions and so they have defects etc or something. (which is bullcrappy) So needless to say I have not been back there even tho that used to be my regular parts counter since they do so many makes.

I bought mine in early April 08.

It hasn't been back to the dealer since.:)

So I'm still looking... Maybe now I'll hold out for the '09's.

While a few folks my never need their dealer after the initial sale. I think you were smart walking away from a dealer's service dept that didn't know up front about the WRR's FI. And I would have posted the dealer's name here just so that other folks in your area know how your deal went down. Bad encounter, but don't let that sour you to a really good bike from Yamaha.

I have a very similar story but mine ended differently. It went like this...

I drove and took a ferry ride over to the dealer that gave me the best OTD price. So I basically spent an extra $60 to drive to that dealer (Ferry plus gas).

Plus I was paying $$$ to have it shipped back to me. Over all my deal was nearly $800 cheaper than any other dealer within 100 miles.

Once I got there this is how it went:

me: Where is Bill, that guy quoted me an OTD price of $xxx.

them: Oh he is with another customer, but I can help you.

me: Well he quoted me and I already am ready to buy from him.

them: Well any one of us can help you.

me: Ok well this is the OTD price he got for me.

them: Oh really, let me check w/ our manager. Sorry we can't give it to you at that price its too low. This is as low as we will go ($500 more than quote).

me: Oh well then... I guess my drive over here was not worth it.

them: Let me ask our manager again. Ok he said ($200 more than quote).

me: Ok you guys are giving me the run around and this is pissing me off. I got an OTD quote of this much. If you want to fight it, then I will just go back home and buy it at a higher price.

them: Ok, let me work it out. I can get that price but our county tax is higher than your county, so you will still have to pay ($100 more than quote).

me: Whatever.

So after that a few weeks later they mail me a check for the county tax difference because they were not suppose to charge me that surcharge.

My thoughts on this is if you are in a pickle like this look them straight in the eye and ask them "Do you want to lose this deal over a few hundred bucks, because to me its easy to find another dealer. But to you how long will it take to find another quick buyer."

Wish you luck in your search for the WR.

Delvin,

I'm in Az also, could you please let us know what dealer it was. I would rather not give them any of my business. If you don't want to post it, shoot me a PM. I'll keep it confidential.......Thx

BTW it is a great bike so hope you can find one somewhere else.

Good move. Now take a couple minutes and report this exact

post to Yamaha. At least let them know that you are still

interested in purchasing one of their bikes, but this type of

behaviorr will not be tolerated by yourself.

Next, find a good dealership. Begin to build a relationship with

one of the sales people AND one of the parts people AND

one of the service people. When they see you in the store

sereral times over several weeks, months etc., then they

will begin to "see" you differently and as a result treat

you differently. I have not been dealing with the local

Yamaha dealer for more than just a few months. But today

I can walk in and get 10% off of accessories without even

asking. I can get 15% off, sometimes, if I ask about a good

price on something. A couple weeks ago one of my twin

boys wanted a Kawasaki hat, I asked the parts guy how

much it was, and he said 20 bucks. I said, yeah we'll go

ahead and take it. When he rang it up, he gave it to me

for 10 bucks.

The sales guy will work with me on price big time. I just

purchased two more bikes for my boys this weekend.

Bought a klx140L for one boy, and my second twin really

decided he wanted a quad. So when I got with Kevin,

the sales guy, I asked how much room they had in the

4 wheeler. He goes and pulls his cost invoice from the

files. We work out a cost plus 150 dollars plus ONE 49

dollars processing fee for both bikes. With the purchase

of the klx140 and a profit of 200 bucks, I dont really

think the dealership making 400 dollars was wrong, but

I didnt think it needed to be 400 per bike either.

Anyway....you get the point. Get to know some of the

guys. Call them by name, and make sure they know your

name. Be friendly, but positively firm. Just smile when

you say "Hey "Kevin" can you find out how much room

you have in the 4 wheeler, I know its a bit more than you

have on the small bikes, so lets see what we can work

out".....and smile the whole time. Dont go all business

with them, make it personable and you will win in the

long run.

Later.:)

I have to agree with Zadok, anytime you get to know somebody personally its better. I think this is true with car dealerships, bike dealerships, banks ect. I used to buy a ton of stuff from a polaris/suzuki dealership. over a few years I got to know nearly every single person in that building by name and vise versa. And Zadok is right, gloves, helmets, boots and especially parts started to get large discounts on without asking. They actually wanted to! Hell, they knew I was going to come back the next time I needed something.

Well, that sucks for you,

I would have bought it anyway, I walked into the dealer, and told them about the WRR too, they still call me for answers on stuff about the thing.....:)

I knew I wanted this thing before they knew they where getting one.

I never have stepped foot in the dealership my bike came from before or after buying it, and the local dealer where my friends and riding buddies work are the ones that call me anytime someone is wanting a WRR/X and need to see one and understand it better....

I think some folks expect too much from a dealership. The service guy wasn't familiar with a WRR. So what? They are a new model, look like a WR250F, and are spelled nearly the same;WR250R. My dealer registered it as an off-road vehicle!!! The guy that handles the DMV paperwork goofed up and now they're fixing it. Look at all the different models they deal with, many sell several different brands too.

I tend to buy locally and pay hundreds more than some of you guys. I could care less...I've seen dealerships come and go and the ones that sell cheap tend to be short-lived. I want my local dealership to make enough profit to carry plenty of after-market gear, hire responsible mechanics and so forth. Just the way I see it.

I think some folks expect too much from a dealership. The service guy wasn't familiar with a WRR. So what? They are a new model, look like a WR250F, and are spelled nearly the same;WR250R. My dealer registered it as an off-road vehicle!!! The guy that handles the DMV paperwork goofed up and now they're fixing it. Look at all the different models they deal with, many sell several different brands too.

I tend to buy locally and pay hundreds more than some of you guys. I could care less...I've seen dealerships come and go and the ones that sell cheap tend to be short-lived. I want my local dealership to make enough profit to carry plenty of after-market gear, hire responsible mechanics and so forth. Just the way I see it.

I hear what you are saying. But at the same time, I agree with the

OP about not buying it. I think when a place of business wants to

start the transaction out by lying....well, no thanks. I think it WAS

a matter of principle. Personally, I would go to another dealer and

spend more before I bought from these idiots. In fact, I did just

spend more on the quad and klx140 I purchased for the boys. At

least, more compared to another dealer about 2 hours away.

Similar to what you are talking about, I like to do business with

the "local" guys that will be around for a long time. But at the same

time, I want to still get a "reasonable" deal. I guess the "reasonable"

part might be a bit different for everyone. I dont expect the

"cheapest", I just dont want to throw money out either. It HAS

to work for both parties....the seller and buyer.

Im happy with the way the M&W Powersports treats my family

and myself when we go in. They make a profit, and I get a

reasonable price with great service.

Just works.

I'm more than happy to pay more for integrity and character and building a solid relationship with good people. But I don't want to pay more to some shister who's obviously not looking out for my interests as a customer.

I did not meet a dealer who DID actually know anything about the WRR/X when I was looking besides that they had one.

I think some folks expect too much from a dealership. The service guy wasn't familiar with a WRR. So what? They are a new model, look like a WR250F, and are spelled nearly the same; WR250R.

So what? Well, let's recap here:

Me: So, how's you're service department here?

Them: None better. They know these bikes like the back of their hands.

Me: Great, that's important to me.

Their service tech proceeded to give me a "walk around tour" of my new Yamaha.

Him: Now, it's important to choke these WR's when it's cold like this, but don't forget to shut it off when the engine warms up.

Me: Huh?

I let the guy flounder around a few minutes searching for the WR250R's carb.

Me: You know this is fuel-injected right?

Him: Oh, really? That's cool.

Hmmmm... "we're the best; our techs know these bikes like the back of their hands". One of the "none better" service techs that apparently know the bikes like the backs of their hands then begins to give instructions on choking the bike to start it. They're easy for the service tech who "knows them like the backs of his hands" to confuse? Why? Do you think he missed the mirrors, turn signals, honkin' big rear fender with attachments, etc in confusing it with a WR250F? I think those things kind of stick out at you, myself.

The bigger issue is honesty. Bait and switch is not on - and in many places it is outright illegal. $100 wouldn't affect where I bought a bike one way or another - but lying and dishonesty is a deal breaker every single time. I don't have a problem with a service guy who says he's really not familiar with this particular model, is still apprenticing and learning as he goes, etc. But this is ridiculous from beginning to end.

As for dealerships surviving, one sure way to guarantee your demise is to get known throughout the area for lying, playing games with pricing, and getting known for not only not knowing the bikes you work on, but not admitting that you don't know about what you're selling and working on.

Most people don't expect a dealership to know everything about every bike, and all but the most unreasonable understand a dealership has to be profitable to survive and make it worth while running. But people do - rightfully - expect honesty.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. That's one thing I love about the riding community - help when needed and a reality check whenever I'm off base. I'm glad to be part of TT and hope to contribute.

Velox wrote:

I drove and took a ferry ride over to the dealer that gave me the best OTD price...

I feel your pain, dude. I used to live in Bellingham and I know it's a hassle to get from some of the islands to a dealer - especially if they flip-flop when you get there.

SPUTTER wrote:

I think some folks expect too much from a dealership...

Could be. It's just that if I pay close to MSRP for a new bike instead of stalking Craigslist, I'd hope to get commensurate expertise and dealer support. After a couple decades of riding, wrenching, and rotten dealer experiences, I pretty much recognize contrived competence when I see it. I'd venture that many in this forum are as good or better mechanics than the poor $15/hour guy behind closed doors (the dealer will charge you $75/hour - but I digress).

Nothing against them - we all gotta learn somewhere - but I agree with Jäger: I would have respected this "Senior Service Rep" if he'd just admitted he was new to the WRR and we'd both learn about it together. Instead, it was the old "we're the experts you're the sheep" schtick. The pricing bait and switch came later, but I was already leery of the dealership by then.

The silver lining here is that when you do find a good dealer, you realize they're worth their weight in gold and you stick with 'em for life.

I'm in a better mood now than when I walked out of the dealer yesterday, so I'll plan to do some more shopping Tuesday. I'll post the results, and hopefully it'll mean I've got a new WR250R.

See you online or off-road...

I drove about an hour for an OTD of 5800 for my X. When I got there, they had an R with a sold sign and my name on it. I went in and said, you have the wrong bike set up. I hope you can still get me out the door in 15 minutes as you promised. Awww, you wanted an X? Oh, we don't have one of those. Why don't you just get this one? They did not ask this question again. They had to drive to their warehouse an hour away to pic up the X and then set that up for me so I was out of the office for four more hours than I thought. Thank goodness for Blackberries:busted:

....this is what I was asked when I went into my local Dealer to buy a simple oil filter for my new XT250.

Wow!.....a motard version of the little XT!?....sure I'll have a look. (since my Brother likes motards and my XT)

.....there sits a WR250X.

Um, Dude!....that's not an XT (and I'll leave out the rest of the conversation).

So, I buy my oil filter and go home to change my filter and oil prior to my 600 mile service this Friday. (because I wanted to take the filter apart and see how much break-in metal was in it....that's why!)

Out goes the oil, and I go to put the new filter in.

Nope!....you guessed it, NOT even close. And definitely NOT even worth going back to this dealer even for the simpleist of parts!

What's funny is that they're a Yamaha only dealership and should have this crap down by now.

I had a similar experience with a Local Honda dealer here.

It was July 2006, I called the owner of the dealership and negotiated a CASH price. I said I would be there to pick it up in the morning. We agreed, and he was off to Laguna Seca. I got to the dealership and picked the one I wanted still in the crate. The service guy was getting it out and began setting it up. I said I will go in and Pay and get the paper work over, while you finish. I go in and of course the owner is not there, but the Manager is and he was aware of the deal. I had my envelope full of $100 bills, and knew exactly what it was going to be OTD. Well the price was $150 over what I had agreed. I told the manager this is not what was agreed on by the owner, but hey it is out of crate and almost done. I tell you what throw in 2 Honda oil filters and we can call it a deal. He said this is the deal take it or leave it. I laughed and said you still have your 06 1000RR.

I then called another local dealer and got some cheaper internet pricing, and they honored it. I ended up getting my new 06 1000RR the next day closer to my house and for $400 cheaper than what I originally agreed to pay. So the moral of this story is it is good to walk away sometimes.

Todd

Well I will tell you a thing or two about dealers. The best thing to do is not deal inside the showroom. After working for the largest showroom hear in cali and quitting after a month, I will tell you the best way to buy is over the internet. Get everything in writing and do as much of the deal over the internet via email etc before you go in. As soon as you get there the "liners" job is to soften you up and see how desperate you are to roll the thing right there. They will spend there time for thier extra $69.00 or more. Especially on that unit (WR 250 ) because they will definatley sell it anyway. The Wr 250 R is the hottest unit on the floor at all showrooms. So they let you walk. You need a little luck on getting the right person at the end of each month. Last two days especially. there will be 2-3 guys battling to get thier unit bonus. So you need that guy. He will whore it out for the unit but it takes some patience either way. Have 2-3 dealerships working for your business and the one that calls YOU back will be the best one. Definately wait for the end of the month and carefully look at your paperwork at the end. If they sell you financing then watchout, If you have a good score, go with prequalified yamaha fianacing, it is the best and hardest to get.