Sign in to follow this  

Rekluse slipping like crazy. Rotella made it worse?? whyyyy???

okay so here's the deal. I got the rekluse on my 03 yz250 from the previous owner. I had a huntch the clutch was slipping at low speeds a lot but dismissed it as too high gearing for the low speeds i do in the trail. turned out not to be the case. I dropped from stock 14/50 to 14/52 and it was still slipping just as long, just jerking more powerfully when it finally engaged. so i figured maybe it was the oil, since shell rotella is recommended and i was usuing yamalube 15w-50 full synthetic. so i go out and buy rotella. everyone says 10w40 but they only had 15w-40 and "SAE 30" so i got the first one. went out to ride today and it was slipping like crazy. I would almost think my top end was done, but i just put one in 2 weeks ago and only have 5 hours on it. It's like my dad's harley, i crank it and it makes a ton of noise but barely goes anywhere. Accelerating down a gravel road felt like i was on wet grass. just winding out to max rpm the moment i shift up. and i can't wheelie, anywhere. if i hold the front brake and try to burn out on dirt, it barely does it in first after winding up to a high rpm. in 2nd and 3rd it's like neutral.

So what's going on? why would the Rotella make things worse? i thought it would fix things. what would cause the clutch to slip so bad?

Are you sure you got the right oil in there? I use the rotella T 15w40 in the trans/engine side of my CRF. And there is NO clutch slippage, and the trans works flawlessly.

I would begin to look for worn parts in your clutch...

Look at your clutch springs, and all of the plates. Pressure plate for warpage, inner hub for wear, and warpage where the clutch plate sits on the bottom. basket, etc.

okay so here's the deal. I got the rekluse on my 03 yz250 from the previous owner. I had a huntch the clutch was slipping at low speeds a lot but dismissed it as too high gearing for the low speeds i do in the trail. turned out not to be the case. I dropped from stock 14/50 to 14/52 and it was still slipping just as long, just jerking more powerfully when it finally engaged. so i figured maybe it was the oil, since shell rotella is recommended and i was usuing yamalube 15w-50 full synthetic. so i go out and buy rotella. everyone says 10w40 but they only had 15w-40 and "SAE 30" so i got the first one. went out to ride today and it was slipping like crazy. I would almost think my top end was done, but i just put one in 2 weeks ago and only have 5 hours on it. It's like my dad's harley, i crank it and it makes a ton of noise but barely goes anywhere. Accelerating down a gravel road felt like i was on wet grass. just winding out to max rpm the moment i shift up. and i can't wheelie, anywhere. if i hold the front brake and try to burn out on dirt, it barely does it in first after winding up to a high rpm. in 2nd and 3rd it's like neutral.

So what's going on? why would the Rotella make things worse? i thought it would fix things. what would cause the clutch to slip so bad?

I would bet big money it's just the clutch plates that are worn out. If you overheated them, it wouldn't matter what oil you used, it would slip.

if there are notches in the clutch basket where the plates ride that will cause this.

First make sure your clutch cable routing is in order. Make sure you have enough play at idle per rekluse instructions. The clutch lever should feel "slappy loose" at idle, and instantly "firm up" as you rev up the rpms (I believe above 3k rpms). When that is eliminated and you still are having problems you will have to check the clutch itself by inspecting the clutch components.

As stated already by other posters, my suspicion is that what you have is simply worned out clutch friction disks and/or the steel plates. Check your basket for notches as stated by Torax (Rekluse manual explains that fairly well) The steel plates must be from Rekluse as they are specific for your application. The friction disks can be OEM or any good after market brand.

If the friction disks and steel plates are within specs and the basket looks good, you may need a special "extra thick" steel plate which is provided by Rekluse. This extra thick plate is often needed when there is some wear on friction disks. It'll simply brings the whole stack (friction disks and plates) up to specs.

I would contact Rekluse directly and ask them if they could send you the manual/instruction for your application. This will take all the mistery out of assembly.

Go to the rekluse web site and look up the instructions. There you will find the specs for the installed gap required and how to check and adjust the installed gap. If the gap is too wide or on the high end of spec you will get what you describe. Adjust your gap to the low end of the spec by swapping some of the rekluse plates with stock plates and your clutch will work fine with no slippage. I have done this twice with my rekluse and the results are night and day difference . I have run rotella in my clutch since install and there is nothing wrong with the oil. It is the installed gap causing the slippage.