Sign in to follow this  

KX100--------Spark plug?

A friend just bought a 2003 KX100 and cant find the stock plug for it anywhere, and wont pay for it since it is expensive. It calls for an NGK R 105. What other plug can we use? It ran with a BR9ES but I didnt let him keep it just in case its way off on the heat range. What plug will work?

We are also going to rebuild it. I JUST rebuilt it for him and he didnt break it in right and looking at the piston through the exhaust port it looks like he melted the rings into the piston, but it looks great from the intake side. It wont run rught now and I came over today and cleaned his carb, filter, changed the gas, checked the plug, etc...and NOTHING. It just ignites the gas when the choke is on and the throttle us opened fully. It fires but wont start up. I ran a series of comression tests after seeing the rings on the exhaust port side and it stayed between 100 and 110psi with every test. What is the compression sapposed to be on a 100? I figured it was about the same as a 125 and I told him to order a new piston, rings, gaskets etc.

Any good info will be payed back to you by adding to your rep(gas tank)

Thanks

Phil

The BR9E** will work just fine. I prefer to run the EIX in my bikes, but the EG will work fine also.

Don't go hotter than a 9 for that engine. If you have trouble fouling plugs with a 9, your jetting is too rich, or you have a mechanical issue like bad reeds or leaking crank seals.

How often are you guys fouling plugs on these bikes?

I haven't fouled one on mine ever sence i've had it, even trail riding

Cool it makes me feel better about buying one. Year ago i had a 2-smoke and it fouled a lot of plugs. A friend has a little KTM and it fouls them a lot.

often. I know the jetting needs to be done. Its just that he is sick of paying so much for the 105

The 2 stroke oil and the ratio you run also have alot to do with fouling plugs. I run 40:1 on all my bikes with honda HP2 oil. 32:1 smokes alot, fouls plugs, can saturate the silencer packing with oil and gum up power valves. Use good oil in smaller amounts for best results.

The BR9E** will work just fine. I prefer to run the EIX in my bikes, but the EG will work fine also.

Don't go hotter than a 9 for that engine. If you have trouble fouling plugs with a 9, your jetting is too rich, or you have a mechanical issue like bad reeds or leaking crank seals.

What he said. I run BR8es in my sons most of the time and maybe a 7 in 90* + temps. We will use an eix if I have one but never really noticed any power or performance differences. The es's are about $2 ea and the only time one gets fouled is when my son lets someone else ride it who bogs it around. Also we run Amsoil Interceptor for trails and screwing around and Dominator for racing and practicing, both mixed at 50:1 w/ 93 pump gas.

You have the heat range mixed up, the lower the number the hotter the plug.

oh, crap, good catch. I was pecking faster than I was thinking.:smirk::thinking:

So, 9s in the heat and 7s in the winter months. It's easier on the cars. tr55 for n/a and a tr6 when using the nitrous.:smirk:

I think so, not real sure, but I have to check my computer when I get home. I have quite a few on digits.

Edit, Sorry, I don't have that one on digits.