Sign in to follow this  

Street Legal CRF-230F?

A dealer told me he could put a DS kit on a 2005 CRF-230F, and get it licensed in California. Said the new 230s were now street legal, and that the old ones were therefore being "grandfathered" into that status. Showed me the VIN number, then guaranteed I'd leave the shop with a license plate on the bike. I didn't see anything on the bike that convinces me it's an F, not an L model, but I'm no expert on the differences.

Maybe he can make good on his guarantee, but I'd sure like to make sure I won't have problems with the DMV a year or so down the line when I try to renew the license.

He's asking $2650, and it IS in very good condition, but seems a bit high for a bike that will soon be 4 years old. My search of this forum didn't help me understand which 230 models were or were not able to be plated in California, so I'd appreciate any help I can get here. Thanks...

The L chassis is completely different from the F. the only things they really share are the cylinder, and the name CRF230. There is no way the F could be 'grandfathered in'

If the dealer can't tell the differences between the F and the L, he probably shouldn't be selling them.

Thanks. I did some more research last night and no way do I want an L model. My only use for a plate is when I'm doing sponsored dual sport events, or point-to-point rides in areas like the Mojave Preserve.

How do you guys like your 230F? What do you use it for? The specs say it has a 34 inch saddle height, a 54-inch wheelbase, a 27.3 degree rake and 4.4 inches of trail. I'm thinking those numbers would make it reasonably good in tight single track -- certainly better than some of the go-fast models today that you need a stepladder to mount... :)