Sign in to follow this  

Dumb question

Ok so my handlebars are bent (from crashing multiple times :) ) is there anything I should know before buying a new pair? I have never had to replace handlebars before and am somewhat lost on what am I looking for.

As for me and my bike I have a 2004 XR 250 that I use primarily for desert/ trail riding I don't race don't do anything particularly crazy I just need a set of handlebars that are not bent.

Any help would be great. Thanks so much!

cf13,

You'll be getting 7/8 handlebars, unless your bike was modified to fit Fat Bars before you got it.

One thing to note that depending how "bad" your accident was you may need new bar clamps/risers, because there is a rubber piece down inside the top triple clamp for each bar clamp/riser and I personally have screwed them up plus bent the bar clamps/risers from a wreck.

Don:thumbsup:

to the best of my knowledge my bike is bone stock, not a bad accident just several little ones fall over go boom type things but they are bent to the point where I notice it when riding now previously just a bit bent but not enough to bother me. Hey progirlz I have my own truck now maybe I can come ride with you during the week when school starts up again!!

i have a set of pro tapers 1 1/8 contour fat bars with oversized mounts to fit 7/8 bar mounts they are almost brand new i took them off my ride before i sold it

Make sure the diameter of the bars is accurate, if you have a 7/8 bar then you won't have to replace your throttle tube. However if you upgrade to the larger 1 1/8 bar you will need to get a new throttle tube that fits over the larger bar. If you had stock 7/8 is what you would need to replace. The width and bend of the bars is all personal preference and you can go to any motorcycle shop and pick them up to see what feels right. Good luck! (p.s. I love my pro-tapers)

Whatever you do, don't buy another stock handle bar to replace the bent ones! I recommend Renthal or Pro Taper. Both are good bars and I have yet to bend a pair and I crash all the time! 👍:worthy:

Make sure the diameter of the bars is accurate, if you have a 7/8 bar then you won't have to replace your throttle tube. However if you upgrade to the larger 1 1/8 bar you will need to get a new throttle tube that fits over the larger bar. If you had stock 7/8 is what you would need to replace. The width and bend of the bars is all personal preference and you can go to any motorcycle shop and pick them up to see what feels right. Good luck! (p.s. I love my pro-tapers)

Ummm... yeah, so if that were true, you'd also need new grips (though you will likely need ONE new grip, depends on if you glue them on and how well...), new clutch and brake perches...

The ONLY thing that changes w/the bigger bars is the clamp that mounts the bar to the triple clamp. The bars taper down to normal size at the ends so all your other stuff fits. So no, you won't be needing big ol' paws to wrap around the bigger bars.

I ride a 2004 xr400 and i believe the 250 has the same bar mounts.

First don't get steel bars.

If you are going to stay with standard size bars (7/8) renthals are nice. But any alumimun bars will be better then steel stock ones. I am running fmf 909 right now.

If you want over size bars 1 1/8 you are going to need adapters that allow the bigger bars to fit.

You will have to figure out the type of bend you want also.