Sign in to follow this  

report your stator failures

Mine quit charging and shorted to ground just after it turned over 24,000 miles, it started contacting the generator rotor/flywheel due to a sloppy crank bearing

Hey chook, my stator first garbled its guts at 22,000 miles in Feburary this year. 2003 E model.

Currently my electrical system is totally dead at 27,000 miles, but I'm hoping its the reg/rec unit and not the stator again. Sadly the bike is in the hands of a mechanic at present, will find out shortly.

My bike has been an electrical clusterf#%$.

Mine went south after only 29,000 miles in my "03" running heated grips and GPS. Can't really complain about that, and still running factory battery.

My '03 stator died after 14,000 miles. The original battery died in the middle of a ride and I decided to continue riding with the bad battery still connected. Over taxed the electrical system and stator and rectifier both died.

DRZ400S running PIAA 80/80W halogen with heavier gauge wiring, all other electrical stock

Stator shorted to ground at 28900km

Rewound locally and replaced dodgy rectifier .

Stator shorted to ground (again) at 36500km

Rewound locally and did the free power mod.

Local rewind guy reckons first rewind he didnt use strong enough (heat rating) wire. Used 200 degree celsius rated wire on second rewind.

Could be BS-ing me?

Cost $45 both times.

Currently at 43000km, no problems.

Did the free power mod and bought the Moose racing stator (~$150) as backup after the second rewind.

Expect I can sell the stator if I dont use it as many DRZ's over here experience the failed stator syndrome.

07 sm 11k stator wires ground TT F&A save my a$$

found a shop 5 mls from house needed stator recoating $85.00, 5 days later

also sacks of bmw and aprillia stator at the shop

Sounds wise. Luckily for me mine went on the blink close to home, but it might just have easily done so miles from anywhere. Limping into the nearest small town seeking a repair can have its adventures, but they can cost a bit.