Sign in to follow this  

Changing water pump seals yz 250

Hey hows it going. was thinking about changing my water pump seal, after reading a post on hear. when i bought my bike about 8 months ago and i changed the tran oil first thing a it was thick green fluid, didnt think any thing of just thought it was a strange oil. i use maxima mtl 80wt was light green for a couple more oil changes then i changed the rad fluid. with engine ice but dont notice any significant loss in coolant, wondering if i should change my wp seals, when i do my top end next week, how tuff is it, do u have to split the case on my 02 yz 250.. any help would be great

Nope you don't have to split the case. You do have to remove the crankcase cover though. First remove clutch cover and then crankcase cover. You'll have to buy new gaskets for everything in there. Look at the fiche to know which ones.

It's really easy to do. I had to do it on the 01 yz250 I bought. I'm very good with working on cars but never worked on a dirt bike. Drain oil first. Remove kick start lever. Remove the bolts that hold the power valve cover on and work your way around the outside of the case. You don't need to remove the clutch cover it will come off with the case. Make sure you replace both the water pump seal and the inside oil seal plus the bearing. It cost me about 30 bucks for everything.

Water pump seal just gone on mine.water will drip out of a little relief hole if it goes. 4 bolts to release the pump cover and remove the pipe. 12mm to remove the impeller and you just prise the seal out. Takes about 5 minutes to do. Assuming shaft is all good push in the new seal with a little grease, spin on impeller and replace the cover.Fill with water and job done. The relief hole means that water just pours on the floor and will not get into the gearbox.