01 400E need help on 2 things

Just got an 01 400E & took it out today for the first time & two things:

1) It breaks up at high rpm(more noticeable in the low gears)

2) the idle hangs high & the plastic isle screw doesn"t seem to do anything? I can let the clutch out in gear to get it the rpm"s down?

The bike is completly stock(carb exhaust...etc) about 1500 miles & I changed the gas & plug.

Any thoughts & advice would be appreciated

As Chooken stated, the carb most likely needs a good cleaning. Clogged (or even partially clogged) pilot jet or pilot circuit will cause the idle issue you describe. Also, check the throttle cable adjustment. If it is too tight, it can prevent the idle speed adjuster to have any effect.

The WOT mis fire could be a clogged main jet or... a main jet of the wrong size.

While your are cleaning the carb, make a note of the:

main jet size

Needle model and clip position

Pilot jet size

Slow air jet

Main air jet

If you have continued issues after the cleaning, these values will help us figure out what to do.

Post a pic! I had to do the same when I bought my Kicker, I took it easy and took lots of pics as I went but in the end it was a doddle, now it runs fine. I you sure you are not hitting the rev limiter?

I dont find the throttle screw too respsonsive either, but if you keep screwing it in it will speed up tickover eventually. Which should be 1200 rpm I believe which is quite high?

dan

OK...here's what's up:

should I put any wd-40 in the top where the rollers are they seem to stick now

here's my #'s(I'm not sure what their called)

the pin is OBDXP there's 7 slots & it's in the middle

the 3 jets in the bottom are

45 this is the recessed jet

142 this is where the pin goes thru

the 2 jets on the side are

and the screw on the bottom doesn't have a # & it was turned out 1-1/4 turns

any advice or input would be cool

should I post this in the jetting section?

Now... make sure all the jets look spotless. Be gentle with them, they have precision holes, do not poke anything through them, use solvents only on them.

Your too small main jet is why it ran poor at high rpm.

The fuel screw being only 1.5 turns (pluse any debris you dissolve from the pilot is whay the idle was 'hanging'.

Be sure when you re-install the carb, the throttle cables have a little slack. Then you move the grip a little, the cable inners shoujld move a little bit before the throttle wheel begins to turn.

• 3 months later...
Now... make sure all the jets look spotless. Be gentle with them, they have precision holes, do not poke anything through them, use solvents only on them.

When cleaning the FCR, I understand you do not want to split the carb body.

So it sounds like the only parts you'd physically remove are the float bowl and the top plate?

Other than removing the jets and soaking them in solvent, what actual "cleaning" can you safely accomplish on the rest of the carb?

I'm reluctant to spray any kind of solvents on the carb body itself for fear of damaging any gaskets or seals.

TIA.

Tipsy