Sign in to follow this  

Radiator Guard needs replacement

The metal bar surrounding my radiator is bent forward (i was going a weeeee bit too fast where there was no trail :) ) good thing it was there or I would have had to walk the bike down a 6000 foot tall mountain.

I was wondering if there was a good after market replacement that might offer better protection and maybe even be a bit stronger?

Thanks in advance

PS

I have a 2005 DR650 SE

only thing you'll find is an oem replacement.

be happy it wasn't the rad. only the guard.

The metal bar surrounding my radiator is bent forward (i was going a weeeee bit too fast where there was no trail :) ) good thing it was there or I would have had to walk the bike down a 6000 foot tall mountain.

I was wondering if there was a good after market replacement that might offer better protection and maybe even be a bit stronger?

Thanks in advance

PS

I have a 2005 DR650 SE

Yeah, my oil cooler guard has been bent, broken and re-welded a couple of times. Oil cooler always survived so I guess it did its job.

I am still hoping for a stronger aftermarket piece as well, though. Wasn't Tom from Turbocity thinking about producing one?

joe-racer makes a nice oil cooler (ktm and husaberg) mounts on the frame front down tube about where the stock one is. it's a round long tube, much smaller. was thinking about it but $399.00 made me stop thinking, and they won't just sell the tube.

i guess ill order an OEM guard then :-\ maybe I can find a way to reinforce it a bit more, i was going to try and bend it back but it has a kink in it and i think if i bent it it will be less likely to protect my rad if it were to happen again,

boatxr, yea I was worried when I saw the guard bent my rad was messed up, im very happy it wasnt that wouldnt have been fun

i guess ill order an OEM guard then :-\ maybe I can find a way to reinforce it a bit more, i was going to try and bend it back but it has a kink in it and i think if i bent it it will be less likely to protect my rad if it were to happen again,

boatxr, yea I was worried when I saw the guard bent my rad was messed up, im very happy it wasnt that wouldnt have been fun

yeah bending tubes backs only ask for more trouble down the road. good choice. the guard did it's job.

tom is a tinkerer, so if anyone would build one, it would be him.

I finally found where the rattle was coming from.The guard broke just after the weld on the bottom flange.