Sign in to follow this  

couple of minor problems on my 250

Hello guys...i was riding today for the first time since i rebuilt my water pump(had a little leak on the bottom weep hole...im glad to say it stopped leaking)...so everything went well during the process and i finally changed over to engine ice since i flushed the system...i also put in rotella for the first time since everyone seems to love it....ok now to get back on track...riding around the trails i heard a little annoying rattle or something vibrating...i dont know what it was....it was not all the time just sometimes...i think it was the header springs because when i took them off and putthem back on one looked a little loose. I stopped and revved my motor though and they werent vibrating. Another problem i have is shifting into 2nd gear. It goes into 2nd but it is kinda hard to do it and it doesnt seem like a nice solid click. its like im almost unsure if i shifted into 2nd but it always actually does. I think i read somewhere that this is common on the kawi 250s but i just wanna be sure. One more thing then ill leave you guys alone. when hard accelerating on my bike it seems like the sproket isnt on properly. I dont know how to explain it its just that when i give it gas i hear like a snap. It kinda feels like the chain is suddenly catching the sprocket and it snaps and lurches forward. Maybe i need to tighten my chain? im not sure anyway im sorry for all the questions and the long post. I figured id make one post instead of three. So thanks in advance guys!:):D

if its a stock header it doesnt have springs...but you have an after market system so it prolly came with springs...with the noise..you migh twant to check the drive chain to see if it is inline and if the tension is correct...wat kind of sound does it make and where do u hear it? does it happen when the bike isnt happening?...and as for the shifting i heard it was common for the 06's....it could be the design of the transmission...it also depends on how hard and rough it has been ridden...cud be a bad shift fork, dog, etc...but usually it is obvious if something is wrongwith the transmission if you rode it and heard some grinding.

if its a stock header it doesnt have springs...but you have an after market system so it prolly came with springs...with the noise..you migh twant to check the drive chain to see if it is inline and if the tension is correct...wat kind of sound does it make and where do u hear it? does it happen when the bike isnt happening?...and as for the shifting i heard it was common for the 06's....it could be the design of the transmission...it also depends on how hard and rough it has been ridden...cud be a bad shift fork, dog, etc...but usually it is obvious if something is wrongwith the transmission if you rode it and heard some grinding.

well the rear seems to be lined up...do you think the rattle could be coming from the water pump or something on the clutch side of the engine that i didnt install right? i higly doubt that i didnt install it correctly...well there is no grinding so i dont think my tranny is bad...also the other noise has to be the drive chain...i dont know how to describe it...it just seems like the chain is grabbinng hard and pulling forward but it makes a loud noise....any other ideas? thanks

have you recently done any work on the bike? anything taken off cud be loose or not correctly assembled..

does the noise only happen when you are moving or do u hear it when the bike is on the stand...if it is comming from the engine it could be piston slap:

Cylinder/piston clearance excessive

Cylinder, piston worn

Connecting rod bent

Piston pin cud be worn

Valve clearance incorrect

Valve spring broken or weak

Camshaft bearing or cam face worn

Valve lifter worn

decompression spring and unit can me loose

the noise can be a drive chain issue:

the clutch basket tangs could be worn

Clutch housing gear worn

Drive chain noise:

Drive chain maladjusted

Drive chain worn

Rear and/or engine sprocket worn

Drive chain lubrication insufficient

Rear wheel misaligned

mine makes a rattling too when i rev it, always has and can't figure out where it comes from. don't worry about it.

fmf uses springs

yea my fmf has springs. i dont think its a problem though. i think i know where the rattle is coming ffrom. one of the bolts came outta the number plate and its rattling against the frame. also i think i need to tighten my chain thats where the other noise is coming from. so everything is good. thanks anyway!

👍:worthy:

Hum, do you have this rattle only when you engine is on idle ? If yes, it's the carb->you need to increase your idle speed