Sign in to follow this  

Tony Hart Safty Fund

Safety equipment is awesome to have. There is probably never enough and I doubt there is a track in America - motocross, SX, Road Racing, Dirt Track or supermoto that has enough to foresee every single possible before it happens.

As for Hart - I do not have all of the details but there have been every angle speculated on chat boards and around the water cooler.

Again I don't know exactly what happened but I have been told hart's injury may have happened upon impact when he first got into trouble and high sided. Again this is second hand information - I did not see the actual crash.

His crash was so far away from the wall, although he did slide up to the wall - at least that is what one person told me. Another said he never made contact with the wall (Again just news not facts)

I have also been told riders were asked about the track after the first practice and the racers asked said the track was safe.

Safety is a huge concern to keep the rides safe. Sometimes things happen and they have nothing to do with the track design - they just happen.

So until we, or if we ever get an official word on what happened during Tony's crash we need to be careful. I don't know the play by play and I have heard 10 different versions of what happened. They all might have a bit of truth. This is very sensitive matter and facts are important before we make judgments. I wish I knew exactly what happened so we make sure not matter what it was so it will never happen again.

What happened is terrible - and even thought track safety may or may not have played a part the crash - its awareness has opened our eyes to looking at things twice and making sure they are the best they can be for racing and for the rider safety - were are one step going forward.

Tony was a great rider and from a family that have lived their life with grips under their fingers. Tony should always be remembered as a member of the supermoto family. And if a safety fund is what will help keep his memory alive then I am all for it.

I missed the actual highside, but saw both Tony and his bike slide up the banking and make contact with the guard rail. He seemed to be limp as he slid across the blacktop and never moved once he came to a stop.

Just wanted to tell what I saw and maybe put to rest a rumor or two.

PP