Sign in to follow this  

i got put in my place the other day...

Ok guys hopefully this will make a few ppl laugh on here. my friends i headed up the mtn to hit some twisties and hoss our bikes around a little bit. I mostly tag along. I'm a much bigger fan of dirt than pavement. anyhow I was on my xr650r, my buddies were on cbr600f4, kawi ninja 636r, xr650l, a gsxr600. we did a few runs up and down the mtn and on one of our last runs we were all moving pretty quick, i look behind me and theres and old man on a klr650, riding my tail i could not stay ahead of him, we get to a straigh and he blows by me on my R!! passes my buddy on his cbr in the next turn and then is closin in on our leader on the ninja who is draggin his knees and pretty much hauling some butt. in this up coming turn theres a man taking pictures my friend is in the outside lane and this old man on the klr goes into the oncoming lane going to fast leaning so hard i was thinking OMG i'm going to be picking that man out of the guard rail! he lays his bike over and sticks it and just smokes the crap out of all us! the crotch rockets could not even catch him in the straight aways! when we got to the top of the hill where everyone parks, he was just sitting there laughin at us as we pulled in. I went over and talked to him and he's telling us his bike is stock! he did have a stock front tire on it but some super wide sticky tire was on the rear. the guy's foot pegs on his klr were worn from being scraped in the turns! anyway just goes to show me its not really what you are riding, at all, its all about what you can make your machine do. that man really helped push me over the edge and now my R's up for sale and i'm looking for a low mileage L again! haha here's the pictures!

n51102759_31452581_5742.jpg

n51102759_31452583_6146.jpg

n51102759_31452584_6433.jpg

n51102759_31452585_6709.jpg

n51102759_31452597_516.jpg then i came in behind the cbr and the ninja, ahead of the gsxr and the L lol

HAHAHA! The old man down the street from me owns a Kawasuki KLR650 he will love this one! :)

Eye of the ...

If I read your post right, you are the guy in the last picture. If so, and you want to really play with the big boys, I gotta use a "dad" line here. Get a good jacket. :) In those turns, at those angles, with the testosteroine pumping, and everyone thinking they're Joe-knee-down-on-the-turn... it helps to save a little skingraph $ for the next ride. Hope you have fun on the L if thats in the future. I love mine, but coming off an Ninja ZX-9R, I doubt that the "sport bike riding" days are in my future. ON-OFF is much cooler,a and versitile.

Later, Jim

OOPS, one more thing... at the height of my sport bike riding thing, an older fella, about 55-60, showed me a thing or two on a '80 or '81 Honda Goldwing. It was all I could do to keep up with that old fart, and I knew from that ride on that I had, and still have, a lot more riding to do. I could never shave the bottoms of my footpegs the way his sattle-bag mounts were chaiffed. I don't think he could even use the center stand anymor because there wasn't enough meat on the legs. :)

Bottoms up, chug a lug!!! Poker runs rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

definitly agree! i usually gear up, but since i was running my dirt tires i was just cruising and watching people, and getting smoked by the guy on the klr!

when i still owned my KLR with the Dunlop 607's the PO installed the bike was great on the slab with plenty of controlable power...very tossable in the twisties...there is a lot to be said about riding experience and knowing ur bike(the "old guy").

hell, there's a guy in Ohio doing hare scrambles on a KLR :)

but like many have said before me which still holds true with the L at least for slab rides...

...it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

:D

I never ride on the road without my riding jacket (Joe Rocket Phoenix). Last week I was going down the road doing about 25 and aparently a heavy storm that produced hail just went through, ended up dumping the bike and the coat saved me from a world of pain...

I would love to hit some twisties like the ones pictured!!! There arnt many around here, and the ones that are, I have done so many times they are boring...

That's funny. I had a klr, stolen last year, but definately my favorate bike owned so far. I prefer it over the l I have now hands down, but the 650r is just a beast that has earned a place in my garage forever:ride:

Oh how this brings back memories. I too would ride my KLR, fully loaded with GIVI hard bags, like a sport bike. To this day all my buddies with their sport bikes could not figure out how that "dirt bike" could run away and hide in the twisties. Good times. :worthy:

BTW the picture of the lead sport biker looking over at the KLR in your picture is priceless!🤣

LOL, classic old guy. Stuff like this really makes me appreciate our elders. You should go ride with that guy, I'm sure you could glean a thing or two from watching him ride some more.

Oh, and get some freaking gear!! Your ankles will thank you if you go down wearing boots rather than sneakers.

Nice one! That old due can ride.

It has as more to do with the rider than the bike.🤣

I take my 650R (set up for Baja with full dirt knobbies) up to the canyons and have fun waxing all the spodes on their ninjas/r6's/etc.