Sign in to follow this  

Air build-up in forks

I raced a cross country race yesterday and noticed something with the forks.

After the second lap I noticed the forks felt good, they were firm yet soaking up all the small rocks and bumps. On the first lap they were harsh and were deflecting the front on impact. I thought that with the air build up they would feel worse as the race went on. Or could it be the oil is heating up and they are working as they should?

I raced a cross country race yesterday and noticed something with the forks.

After the second lap I noticed the forks felt good, they were firm yet soaking up all the small rocks and bumps. On the first lap they were harsh and were deflecting the front on impact. I thought that with the air build up they would feel worse as the race went on. Or could it be the oil is heating up and they are working as they should?

I think the OC forks work better, with a little pressure

I think the OC forks work better, with a little pressure

OC forks?

'Open chamber' aka cartrige forks ? And am I right in saying the Yz are twin chamber?

For the YZ/YZF pre 05 builts are open chamber/open cartridge/open bath forks

05 and later are twin chamber forks

I thought that with the air build up they would feel worse as the race went on. Or could it be the oil is heating up and they are working as they should?

Could be the forks are to soft to begin with. If it's the WR like at the bottom of your post then they have the spring loaded base valves and the springs sack.

doc

Doc I have changed the springs for my weight (100kg.) 4.8 front and 5.6 rear. Is there anything I can do to the base valve? By 'sack' do you mean they sag

it should feel better as the oil heats up...but im not sure of the situation and how the area the bike was ridden was like..but usually on a mx track..the feel or the forks will start to get stiff as air pressure builds up...wats worse is when you dnt relieve the pressure b4 your next ride..

It was a cross country event, lots of rocks and rocky climbs and downhills, was tough, if you want to see a few video clips go onto youtube and search 'EWXC parys' and check it out. One of our top boys was back from riding the GNCC series in the states(Lourance Mahony) and there is a vid of him losing it on one of the climbs....gnarly stuff