Sign in to follow this  

My 86 XR200 and my fatness

I'll cut right to the chase and I'm sure it has been covered. I've searched but can't find anything in the sea of fork stuff on the XR200's.

What is the heaviest spring I can run in the stock forks for my 86 XR200R? And can I add a spacer too? What length?

My fat ass is 240 and obviously I'm taxing the crap out of the stock boingers but damn I love that little bike! Right now I'm not to interested in doing a CR fork swap and would rather just band aid it with the heaviest mofo springs I can get for the stock forks and shock. Thanks!:)

i have just added some 1 inch long spacers to my 86 xr200 forks. before the spacer they would bottom out after landing any jump. with the spacer however it makes an impressive difference, the forks feel much more solid and havent bottmed once yet. hope this helps

Thanks reeve! OK I have one inch spacer on the forks. Do I have any more bidders. 1.5. Can I get a 1.5.

Gooday Husky123,The '86 forks are awesome if you know how to adjust them.

I took the springs out of my '86 forks and pumped in 45psi of air.I weigh around 200 pounds and they have never bottomed out.They have been springless for over 12 months now and I have had no problems with them.I do realize that,in your part of the world you are not prepared to experiment with newfangled notions so I suggest you leave your springs in situ and experiment with different air pressures in your forks.You will be delighted at the difference a few psi will make to your suspension.

Cheers,:)

You don't want TOO long of spacer or the spring will coil-bind before full travel; if you need more than an inch you need heavier springs. Or CR swap...'nutcase

Put in a Race Tech emulator kit and Progressive suspension H/D springs. Springs are 16/29lbs . Preload to get a rider sag of 60mm . Raise oil level to 4.5". Use 10wt oil.

Put a Progressive suspension H/D Shock spring on the rear 600/700lbs.

Set rider sag to 80mm. You need to revalve the shock or at least change oil to 10wt fork oil for more rebound control.

Dwight

• Like 1

Put in a Race Tech emulator kit and Progressive suspension H/D springs. Springs are 16/29lbs . Preload to get a rider sag of 60mm . Raise oil level to 4.5". Use 10wt oil.

Put a Progressive suspension H/D Shock spring on the rear 600/700lbs.

Set rider sag to 80mm. You need to revalve the shock or at least change oil to 10wt fork oil for more rebound control.

Dwight

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout.:)

dont put more than about 5 psi into the forks, the seals will eventully blow, the valve is designed to let air out, not for putting air in.

I ran a pair of MXers a long time ago without springs, just used air pressure. I ran an air hose from the top of each fork cap to a tee fitting on the top triple clamp and installed a schrader valve is the tee. The only problem with air only is the correct oil level and air pressure are very critical for good fork action so I suggest, as a previous poster said, to leave the sring in place, then the oil level and air pressure won't quit as critical on your fork tuning. Knock on wood but I never had a seal failure problem using air only.

Good luck