Sign in to follow this  

coolant boil

I had my 01 400E out in thick sand for a couple of miles & when I stopped & shut it off, I could hear the coolant boiling & pissing out the overflow. After I got back on the road it cooled down & seems fine...should I be concirned?

Probly not, depends on the duration and your riding. It's one of those situations where you would have to haved been there to make any honest assesment.

I take it that all is well now the engine is well past that bit of strain?

oh...I forgot to say that I'm running the orange coolant. Can I add the water wetter to that?

Overheating is not uncommon when riding in sandy or muddy conditions for an extended time. I use Engine Ice with a 1.6 radiator cap I got from www.pitposse.com

+1 on that. Also have 2 computer fans on my rads... works pretty well.

Don't worry about it. When you shut it off there is no more flow so that metal just transfers the heat right to stagnant coolant and it starts to boil. I have a twin turbo RX7 that boils every time you shut it off when the outside temps are 95 and above.

Don't worry about it. When you shut it off there is no more flow so that metal just transfers the heat right to stagnant coolant and it starts to boil. I have a twin turbo RX7 that boils every time you shut it off when the outside temps are 95 and above.

What do you expect if you live in Nevada?! we dream of 95F!!

I had my 01 400E out in thick sand for a couple of miles & when I stopped & shut it off, I could hear the coolant boiling & pissing out the overflow. After I got back on the road it cooled down & seems fine...should I be concirned?

Since I installed the Vapor computer on my E, I find that my coolant temperture varies from about 180 F to 250 F. The stock radiator cap's pressure relief is about 15 psi, which equates to 250 degrees F on a steam temperature pressure table. Now this is for pure water. When you are dealing with a 50% Glycol and 50% water mix, you will see your recover tank start to fill when the coolant is above 265 F.

+1 on that. Also have 2 computer fans on my rads... works pretty well.

Got any photo's of the fan install ? I'd like to hear how you did it. Doesn't mud and water affect the fans in any way?

Overheating is not uncommon when riding in sandy or muddy conditions for an extended time. I use Engine Ice with a 1.6 radiator cap I got from www.pitposse.com

Me thinks Engine Ice = snake oil. How could it possibly keep your engine 50 degrees cooler? Also, propylene glycol has a number of issues including a tendency to turn acidic and corrosive, and to develop bacterial slime. I used to see both conditions working on refrigeration for the food industry.