Sign in to follow this  

what riding gear do I need for Dual Sport

What should I be wearing while riding? I am in Michigan and need coat pant and boot suggestions. I am prob 75 street 25 dirt fire roads etc...

Thanks

• Like 1

What should I be wearing while riding? I am in Michigan and need coat pant and boot suggestions. I am prob 75 street 25 dirt fire roads etc...

Thanks

Personally, I won't ride unless I am in full moto gear. Klim pants are good, buy the best boots and helmet you can afford, and get a sturdy enduro jacket.

• Like 1

Personally, I won't ride unless I am in full moto gear. Klim pants are good, buy the best boots and helmet you can afford, and get a sturdy enduro jacket.
While these items may be included in "full moto gear," I'd make sure knee-and-shin guards, plus gloves and goggles are in the equation.

A suggestion: Check out some local riders for their recommendation on specific products and brands.

Consider some of the street jackets and pants. Some companies offer "adventure" units. Mine are mostly mesh due to my climate. I like them because of the integrated elbow,shoulder, and back armour. Pavement is not forgiving. Getting some kevlar or heavy cordura in the knees,butt,elbow, and shoulder area is good defense for road rash with hardly any trade offf.

I agree with the last post. For 75% street I want gear designed to hit asphalt and cars. MX stuff is great offroad and I wear it there. But on asphalt I want gear that snugs the armor into place and is designed to prevent road rash.

For low speed rides around town I skip the riding pants and just wear knee/shin guards under my jeans. Obviously that is a personal choice that doesn't offer the protection of armored riding pants. But I always wear an armored street jacket (mesh), street gloves, boots and a full face helmet.

I have been down on the asphalt three times and nailed by one car. And the impact of being hit by a car or hitting the asphalt at highway speed is simply off the scale compared to my offroad face plants. So far nothing broken (but bikes) and no road rash (that sound is me knocking on wood).

Some of my walking away from the carnage has been luck for sure. But, like they say, you make your own luck. So hit the bike shops and see what you like.

Depends largely on where I'm riding. I would at minimum, suggest motorcycle-specific boots (whether MX, or street) as they offer armor and protection where normal boots will fail.

Full hand gloves with knuckle protection and padding on the palm.

For pants, I typically wear the Answer Mode since they can be turned into shorts at a moment's notice and my kneeguards easily fit under them.

If commuting, I am in a standard textile or perf'd leather jacket. If off-road, I wear a Thor Impact rig and No Fear Coyote jacket w/ removable sleeves.

2 different helmets offer the best level of protection. Commuting and touring is the Shoei Hornet DS and off-road is an HJC Kane MX helmet w/ Utopia goggles. No matter which helmet, I always wear sunglasses and/or safety glasses underneath the shield.

Lots of options and the best advice I can give is to buy the absolute best gear you can afford and save up for more. Gear is like chains and brakes, it doesn't last forever and will need replacing/upgrading after extended exposure to the elements.

Having the gear is one thing, but developing the disciplen to wear it is quite another for many riders. For me it was not too big a deal.....I always wear ALL my gear, and never make an exception. No matter how hot or lazy I might be. Put all the gear on. After a while it became routine habbit for me. I feel naked without it now....seriously, I feel awkward and did not enjoy my ride without my gear when I tried it once on a trip to the local CVS.

Street gear (armored pants, armored jacket, gloves, full-face helmet, street riding boots) is what I normally wear.

For DS events, I wear all of the above including chest armor, strap-on arm armor, moto-boots, and jeans.

Cheers

Pullin'

I saw a 65 yr old KLR rider (AMA member no less) come down the road today in shorts and sandals after he had a wreck last month and not only that but this idiot is a retired doctor.

Go figure.

For me, full gear, Sidi Discovery boots, Aerostich darien pants or Klim, Alpinestars jacket with shoulder and elbow armor or Aerostich Darien jacket, kidney belt, full face helmet, goggles and gloves.

I used to ride with some Harley guys in Texas for 15 years, they would always give me a hard time about my gear. None of them ever wore any gear. Two weeks ago one of them came out of his driveway and went about 100' probably about 30 mph when a bicyclist made a wide turn in front of him and my friend went down trying to avoid the accident. Hit his head on a rock and died.

I've been riding moto for 40 years and have had 4 bad accidents. But I always wore gear. That's why I'm still riding today. I've buried enough friends in the last 40 yrs.

Thanks

As others have replied full gear is what you need. You need to decide what brand gear to buy, because what fits one person well will not fit you at all. My experience is usually to buy quality gear, yeah it's expensive but you get what you pay for. I paid over 400 for a jacket but after a year had trouble with it and the company gave me a brand new one with no questions asked.

With 75 street and 25 dirt I'd get specific street gear, specific dirt gear and gear for both. Some are interchangable but each has different safety needs. You can find bargins on good gear you just have to look. I'd pay a few dollars more buying a big ticket item from a local store where you can try things on and even take it back if there is a problem.

Good luck and stay safe.

Guns

• Like 1

you said it right when you said a LOCAL store

it may cost a few dollars more but you are dealing with a person,this person depends on you to have a job. they make you happy, you come back

i ride the same situation you do

vega nitro boots 60.00

glover textile armored jacket 140.00

oneal mx pants full pads 180.00

hymalyan kevlar golves 42.00

but you need 2 helmets, 1 for scratches and faceplants

all is interchangleable but the pants get hot on the street

in all honesty get the best you can for your budget

Thanks, still shopping arount for jacket - pants for road work. Love riding the bike! The kids and I were trail riding ( 7 and 9) last night for 2 hours, the smile and grins they had on their faces - PRICELESS!

FieldSheer makes some good jackets, the pants, not so much, just pull the liner out and it's a water resistant mesh jacket with CE armor.

I think it was about 140 new, and I don't get on my bike without at least THAT, and a decent helmet.

Pants.. always wear em. Even those reinforced Denium jeans with kevlar in the knees, butt and hips work well.

Airoh makes a good helmet, its lightweight, and is okay for 50/50 dirt/street use.

It's a bit noisy, and vents too well for high speed, but it might be better than getting two Arai helmets 👍

Skorpion EXO 300 is my regular street rig, jesus it's heavy, but it's quiet.

Gloves... HUGE personal preference, but ANYTHING is better than nothing. Seriously, go to costco and buy some workgloves, at the very least. Picking asphalt or sticks out of your hands really sucks!

As for pure MX gear like impact armor, knee high boots and other focused stuff, it coulden't hurt, but get good street gear first.

Check your local Craigslist if you already know your size, otherwise get with a reputable shop.

Nothing sucks more than buying something online, it won't fit, then trying to secure an RMA to return it and oops, it's over 30 days, you're stuck with it :worthy:

Best of luck

LsT

The Fieldsheer mesh jackets definitely run small. I loved the armor in the one I had. The whole jacket was better than my current Firstgear mesh jacket. But the cut was way shorter in the sleeves and waist than other jackets.

Sold it to a shorter guy that bought a Busa for his first bike. He stress tested it the first week he had the bike. The jacket was torn up but it did what it was supposed to do.

Helmet, googles, and gloves of course.

Thor 50/50 boots.

Thor Static Pants and 3/4 length sleeve Thor Static jersey.

It gets really hot in Texas so I sacrifice protection to stay cool.

That being said my chest looks like someone unloaded on it with a full-auto paintball gun after my ride last weekend.

But hey, if I wanted to go somewhere in complete safety and comfort, I would buy an armored plated Hummer.

I just accept the cuts, rashes, and bruises as a part of the experience.

Good points. I wear full gear: helmet, goggles, shoulder/chest/kidney guard/ knee and elbow pads and boots. Good tough dualsporting pants and a jacket when needed.

Thanks, still shopping arount for jacket - pants for road work. Love riding the bike! The kids and I were trail riding ( 7 and 9) last night for 2 hours, the smile and grins they had on their faces - PRICELESS!
What, if any, protective gear have you provided for your children?

You have an opportunity to "imprint" your sons with the value and worth of protective gear; at this early age you can influence their association between riding and helmet, eye protection, boots and gloves.

Chances are, your boys will take great pride and interest in THEIR OWN helmets, etc.

Further, just riding 'em around the yard, insisting on protective gear for the children seems responsible parenthood, to me.

What, if any, protective gear have you provided for your children?

You have an opportunity to "imprint" your sons with the value and worth of protective gear; at this early age you can influence their association between riding and helmet, eye protection, boots and gloves.

Chances are, your boys will take great pride and interest in THEIR OWN helmets, etc.

Further, just riding 'em around the yard, insisting on protective gear for the children seems responsible parenthood, to me.

With my first bike (PW80) I was given a helmet, goggles and a jean jacket. To this day I never ride without a helmet (even in the great state of NH which does not require it) and the rest of my protective gear. I don't have a nice armored jacket et cetera, but I do have it ingrained in my brain to wear basic protective gear whenever on a bike, thanks to my dad.

The earlier you teach them its cool to ride with protective gear at all times, the less likely they'll seriously injure themselves in their teens showing off to their buddies.

I ride to work in a pair of Levi's, some Technica mountaineering boots, and what ever T-shirt is clean. Throw on the camelback, helmet & goggle, gloves, and go.

I really don't feel the need to commute looking like something off the X-games.

Oh no, here come the safety police!👍