Sign in to follow this  

XR250 - LED Indicators - Confirmation

Hey guys just looking for some help and confirmation on LED Indicators for my XR250. I have found a local source that has provided me with a photo of the LED Flasher Relay box that is supposedly needed to correct the LED blinking problems due to lower power usage on all 4 LED indicators.

Does anyone know what type of flasher relay is already used on the XR250 for indicating purposes and if it is this type as seen in the photo below of the LED Flasher Relay and if so is it compatible and will work?

img0755on2.jpg

Also i presume any LED type indicators should work such as the following

y1pz7ohr8G8MTCkGjJiLIaZqImeGsOA7m7bFc5N-CoT7xq8d1WN-KepVXWuaSKeWzR8

But does the LED Flasher Box and Indicators cause havoc with the indicator signal on the dash as i have heard around the place? Eg. they wont work if the dash indicator is still used? As seen below?

dscn1607mf3.jpg

Sorry if this has been asked before but i cannot find any help via search or figure it out and havnt had a chance to check my own bike and would also rather help first before i tear it apart to find this indicator box which i presume is somewhere near the headlight assembly?

Help much appreciated(Again sorry for large pics)

Matt

that's your ticket......it will work!

You mean the whole setup should work :) ? Really ?

So that box should click/fit right into the previous one on my XR250 when i get round to finding it behind the dash area ? and operate all 4 LED indicators and the dash light flawlessly ? No questioned asked ?

So what the indicator box is exactly the same three pronged type flasher relay box as the stock XR250 one? or how does it connect correctly?

If so sweet and thanks i will order em right away :D

Matt

The problem is LED's don't draw enough current for a normal flasher so you need a flasher with a tiny electronic circuit that is strictly based on time not current. But I am surprised you still had a problem if you had the stock dash indicater light which is a standard incondesant bulb. I would have thought it would still work.

Let us know how it works out.

Well the thing is i havnt actually got any of the parts yet. Its just thats what i heard around about the dash light indicator. I just wanted to be sure that the led flasher box relay is the correct one for a xr250 and will fit correctly without modification? And it is the right type right?

I know the leds should work so i was just wondering about the led flasher relay fitting correctly and if the dash light will still indicate/blink correctly with led indicators and a new led flasher relay box?

Just want confirmation on the led flasher relay fitting correctly and if the dash light will still indicate? It seems from your above post that they should but it wasn't a definite answer and im quite pessimistic :)

Thanks

Matt

I got a set of 2 led's and a flasher unit from Cycle Gear, just like the ones pictured, for a total of $26. I don't have them installed on my bike yet, but did test them off a car battery with flasher.....sure are bright suckers!

I got a set of 2 led's and a flasher unit from Cycle Gear, just like the ones pictured, for a total of $26. I don't have them installed on my bike yet, but did test them off a car battery with flasher.....sure are bright suckers!

Cool well if they look just like the ones i have pictured and they work i may have to order em since i have received many positive comments about them from several users in this thread. Would this type of LED Flasher Relay also work and if so what is the difference as i still havnt had a chance to check the stock flasher relay so can anyone tell me or show me what connection type is uses?

LEDFlasherRelay1.jpg

Thanks for all your help guys and If any of you have more info to contribute please do as i want these to work or else my dad will say told ya so :)

Matt

My signals look just like the ones posted, but the flasher is slightly different. They are all variations of the same theme, just different packaging. I tested my lights with the flasher, and without. The flash rate didn't increase when I wired just one light, or all 4. The load is that small.

You can also use the stock flasher and a resistor on each LED blinker.

Radio shack sells 8-10 ohm resistors for 4 bucks a pop.

Or go to ebay and get these really cool resistors that have cooling fins and mounting holes for 12 bucks a pair plus S+H.

you can add resisters, but that doesn't reduce the load on the electrical system by doing it that way. unless you upgrade your stator, your not improving anything (except adding really cool-looking lights!).

you can add resisters, but that doesn't reduce the load on the electrical system by doing it that way. unless you upgrade your stator, your not improving anything (except adding really cool-looking lights!).

Yer thats what i would like to avoid as i have heard of plenty of trouble doing it this way with hot temperatures and also using the same amount of power. So sorta defeats the purpose. I may order this LED Flasher Relay as i have received feedback from the ebay seller and he is in my country which is good and has it for a decent price and he said it should work except he doesn't know about the earth wire as it supposedly only has two wires whereas i am sure my plug has three? But i guess i will see sooner or later when i get around to buying it if it does indeed plug and play or if it will need a few minor modifications eg. hardwiring it in it.

The LED Flasher Relay

LEDFlasherRelay1.jpg

My Stock Honda XR250 1998 Relay

dscn1615ld7.jpg

What you guys think it will or wont plug and play and will or wont need hard wiring? Are they both 3 wires or the LED Relay has 2 and Stock Relay has 3?

Sorry for all the questions but you guys have been really helpful so far and i really appreciate it.

Thanks

Matt

Just an update whilst i am waiting patiently for a reply to my above post :worthy: Today i purchased these LED blinkers and will most likely wait till i receive them and then hook them up and see if they magically work 👍 if not i will then try a Flasher Relay i have at home and if that fails i will buy a proper one.

y1pexhups0wYhECh_8q7y9V2RyZIu0SHXtcCPlTbL-VnsdScmz9PNu8LEi4RYJEvLVN

Wish me luck when you reply to my above post :busted:

Thanks

Matty Boy

didn't know that your bike already has a flasher built-in....you must be riding an L. I added mine to a 350R, running off a battery pack that I built. There was no pre-existing system in place to modify, so I built my own. dont know what you'll have to do to convert from 3 wire to 2 wire. Check a wiring diagram to see where everything goes. If 2 wires are hot, and one is ground, you should be fine (can always pig-tail the hot lead on the new flasher). But this is just a guess. Check your manual. Depending on the year, I might have it in my manual.

My bike just has the original 6v head/tail lights. I'm leaving that in place and untouched. I could spend money on a 12v regulator or regulator/rectifyer and add a battery to the system, but too much $$....want to keep it simple. I bought a handlebar switch from ebay, a 4 LED turn signals and flasher from CycleGear, and wired up my own homemade LED brakelight and switch attached to the rear brake. I'm into this project under $100. When the switch arrives, I'll post pics and details in a separate thread.

didn't know that your bike already has a flasher built-in....you must be riding an L. I added mine to a 350R, running off a battery pack that I built. There was no pre-existing system in place to modify, so I built my own. dont know what you'll have to do to convert from 3 wire to 2 wire. Check a wiring diagram to see where everything goes. If 2 wires are hot, and one is ground, you should be fine (can always pig-tail the hot lead on the new flasher). But this is just a guess. Check your manual. Depending on the year, I might have it in my manual.

My bike just has the original 6v head/tail lights. I'm leaving that in place and untouched. I could spend money on a 12v regulator or regulator/rectifyer and add a battery to the system, but too much $$....want to keep it simple. I bought a handlebar switch from ebay, a 4 LED turn signals and flasher from CycleGear, and wired up my own homemade LED brakelight and switch attached to the rear brake. I'm into this project under $100. When the switch arrives, I'll post pics and details in a separate thread.

Cool thanks cant wait for some pics. Although have a look in my garage as i have a Honda XR250R 1998 and it is all 12V original etc. Everything is connected up via the stator power. I am in Australia and i think when these bikes were imported they added or kept all the stuff needed to make em road legal :worthy: The only thing they left out was the neutral switch inside the gearbox which would have been handy i should add 👍. Since i purchased the second hand bike i havnt done anything to it really. Cant wait for the LED's though ill see how it goes and also update with some pics if i get the chance.

Thanks Again M8

Matt

What in the world are you talking about??? Stators, reduced loads??

If you want your LED turn signals to blink you will have to install a resistor on each turn signal.

LEDs require very little juice to operate, so little that they do not work with most conventional signal flashers (auto or bike). They will either remain lit and not flash, or flash too quickly. So you have 2 options...you can replace the flasher with one designed specifically for LEDs, or add resistors in-line with the (+) lead to work with the conventional flasher.

Read this:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turn-signal2.htm and this http://www.motorcycle-leds.com/faq/

By converting turn/brake lights to LEDs, you lighten the load placed on your factory electrical system. Headlights remain brighter, especially at low rpm's.

Ok guys i have an update. I have received the LED Indicators and tested them using a 12v battery and confirm they work correctly but i have a problem. I have mounted them up and as people said the stock indicator box doesn't flash correctly. My old man has a timer flasher relay box that we would like to try but it only has 2 terminals whereas my bike has 3 terminals.

This is exactly the same problem i run into when i look on the net for motorbike flasher relay boxes such as the following below;

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310080717285&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX_Stores&refitem=310080216483&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget&_trksid=p284.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSI%26its%3DI%26itu%3DCR%252BUCI%26otn%3D4%26ps%3D42

WRELED3C.gif

As you can see the above photo shows the same type of connection as mine i think? (photo below) but it only has 2 terminals with the one on the left being blank?

84567294cw9.jpg

Here is my front right Led Indicator installed with the wires connected correctly which was easy enough. But the stock indicator plug with the 3 terminals has me stumped?

77027959ze6.th.jpg

What are each of these terminals as on my current stock indicator flash relay it reads from the left side to the right B, LR, LF. I have no clue what these mean but my guess is B-Battery, LR-Left Rear and LF-Left Front but if so how does the Right Rear and Right Front function? Also this bike has no battery and all the power comes from the bikes stator. I am really in need of some info as i currently have no idea what to wire where with my old mans led flasher relay box (below). Also i might add i would happily pay the extra money in order to purchase the proper motorcycle led flasher relay but i don't want to purchase it unless i am 100% sure it will fit and work correctly (without modification) even though it only has 2 terminals where as my current stock box and stock plug that goes into the box has 3 terminals? (Any ideas what the 3rd terminal is? And if so how do i hard wire it to either the flasher relay below or if i purchase a proper motorcycle flasher relay and it doesn't fit correctly? A Diagram would be real helpful).

14409304jg5.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated as i would really like to test my old mans Led Flasher Relay before spending more money on a proper motorcycle Led Flasher Relay but if the proper motorcycle flasher relay will actually physically fit 100% correctly and work 100% correctly even though the stock flasher box have 2 terminal wires and my current stock box and plug have 3 terminal wires? I would be willing to purchase it.

Sorry about such a large post and i hope you can understand it

Thanks Again

Matt

I have a XR650L and I added leds about three months ago, all I added was a stock chevy flasher Plugged right in and has worked perfectly every since! 👍