What are good DOT approved offroad tires for KLX 250??

If price matters, Kenda K270's are hard to beat, in my view and experience.

More dirt-oriented, and if you can stand the noise, the Kenda Trackmaster II's may be worth a look (I think you can get a 17-inch rear in this tread).

Otherwise, your preference and your pocketbook rule.

I've got a 606 rear on now and I will be pulling it off soon and giving it away. IMO, it's fine hooking up straight on, but lay it sideways in a flat turn with no berm and that's where the trouble starts. It has put me on my rear once already and nearly so on several occasions. The rear wants to step out wildly and unpredictably when entering or exiting a flat turn under power. Rear wheel spin is expected and normal and a good thing for being able to steer with the rear wheel. But the when the 606 lets loose, it did so unexpectedly and unpredictably.

Personally, I will be going back to the Kenda Track Master II. I never had that problem with it, it seemed to hook up solid and slip in a controlled and predictable manner as opposed to all at once. In the month or so I've had the 606 on the rear, I have had more "incidents" like the above than over a year and two sets of TM-IIs.

I should mention that the terrain I ride is NC woods, clay, and loose dirt. As we all know, no one tire will be best for everyone and their terrain. YMMV.

I've got a 606 rear on now and I will be pulling it off soon and giving it away. IMO, it's fine hooking up straight on, but lay it sideways in a flat turn with no berm and that's where the trouble starts. It has put me on my rear once already and nearly so on several occasions. The rear wants to step out wildly and unpredictably when entering or exiting a flat turn under power. Rear wheel spin is expected and normal and a good thing for being able to steer with the rear wheel. But the when the 606 lets loose, it did so unexpectedly and unpredictably.

Personally, I will be going back to the Kenda Track Master II. I never had that problem with it, it seemed to hook up solid and slip in a controlled and predictable manner as opposed to all at once. In the month or so I've had the 606 on the rear, I have had more "incidents" like the above than over a year and two sets of TM-IIs.

I should mention that the terrain I ride is NC woods, clay, and loose dirt. As we all know, no one tire will be best for everyone and their terrain. YMMV.

Notice that I qualified my post by saying that "I ride the arid southwest". If you look at Dunlop's catalog, the 606 is in the "Dual Sport/Desert" section. What I think that should telling you is that this isn't intended to be a tire for loamy/muddy eastern trail riding!

Notice that I qualified my post by saying that "I ride the arid southwest". If you look at Dunlop's catalog, the 606 is in the "Dual Sport/Desert" section. What I think that should telling you is that this isn't intended to be a tire for loamy/muddy eastern trail riding!

The "Dual Sport/Desert" section says about the D606: "Dual Sport / Off-Road", along with the D907 - Enduro / Dual Sport, the D607 - Dual Sport / Street, and the D908 - Dual Sport / Off-Road. So you can read the Dual Sport / Desert as meaning "Dual Sport" and/or "Desert" since several other tires in that section are not desert tires, so why should one draw the conclusion that the 606 is? The D606 is billed as a Dual Sport designed for "aggressive" off-road use, to use Dunlop's own words. Specifically, Dunlop says about it:

* Dunlop designed the D606 tire to be street-legal with an emphasis on aggressive off-road riding.

* A full-depth tread pattern designed for rigorous off-road use yields excellent traction on everything from hard-packed fire roads to soft single-track trails.

Doesn't say anything about desert there.

I was not attacking you personally or even singling out your assessment of the tire, Recon. I was merely stating my own personal experience with the tire, same as you.

im running a cheap cheng shin tire on front and rear, six ply , 50/50 and they run great. ive ridden them in breckenridge, all over the alpine loop and put probably 300 miles on them here on arkansas flintrock and river sand. they cost 139 for the whole set and they run fine on hwy at 65 mph too!

• 4 weeks later...

Perfect opportunity to ask... My 250S came with the Dunlop D605 tires, I am not able to find any info on these tires. Other than from personal experience they suck in the dirt, (90% in dirt) Does anybody know if the D606 is going to

have similar characteristics? I really need a tire that will hook up in the desert terrain and sometimes soft dirt.