Sign in to follow this  

Fractured my collarbone...

I am typing this with my left hand, since I fractured my right side collarbone Saturday. I tried to add more length to the jump, and I made the lip too steep and not long enough. I came off it, nosedived, and the bike landed on top of me. At first, I thought I was OK, but moving my right arm felt funny. I went to the hospital in an ambulance, took some X-rays and morphine :-)

Any tips on dealing with a broken/fractured collarbone?

Sorry to hear about your injury. I broke mine in 2005. Did the doctor give you a brace or just a sling. I had a brace and it was a pain so I took it off and just used a sling. Try and sleep in a recliner or a couch. It's hard to get up out of a bed. If you don't move your arm too much your collarbone will heal just fine. Good luck and take care.

I broke my collar bone rolling a car,it sucked.hope you feel alright.my doctor gave me a butterfly brace to pull your sholders up and back.this is used so that as you heal the broken sides shoulder dosn't sag and heal lower than the good side,or just be concious of not letting broken side sag try to keep your sholder up.good luck hope this helps.buggs

The doctor at the hospital gave me a sling for now. I'm going to an (orthopedic?) doctor hopefully tomorrow to make sure everthing's in line. I'll ask him then about the shoulder sagging.

There are Two kinds of dirt bikers the kind that have broke a collarbone and the kind that are going to break a collarbone .:) Have fun wiping !:D

same thing happened to me last monday. i tried to make the lip on my jump bigger and i ended up nose diving and over shooting the landing. the bike didnt land on top of me but i still fractured my left collar bone.

There are Two kinds of dirt bikers the kind that have broke a collarbone and the kind that are going to break a collarbone .:) Have fun wiping !:D

hahah so true

dont worrey about the arm sagging, mine did that too for a while. a fracture is nothing to worrey about, just give it time

Good to know I'm not the only one! My mom actually had surgery on her right shoulder the day before to remove a bone shard or something. Now we look identical in our slings! When I crashed, I could tell my collarbone was out of whack, and I told my dad that I needed to go to the hospital. He just goes, "Son, I've already got your mother to take care of." I was like, a little to late for that speech! (as I'm holding my arm) Ah well.....

Welcome to the club bro. About 15 years ago, I broke mine, compound fracture, about 2" of bone sticking outta my shoulder, even the paramedic was looking a little queasy when he saw it, I wasen't doing much better.

Collar bone fractures are tough because you can't really put a cast on it. I spent a month lying on my back waiting for it to fuse back together, when it did, it overlapped a bit instead of end to end. The doctor wanted to break it again so it would heal "correctly". I said no thanks, I will live with the bump.

Plan on taking it easy for a while. Get a tennis ball and spend a lot of time squeezing it so your arm muscles don't atrophy.

Looks like your post count is gonna increase cuz you will be spending a lot of time on the computer...

Welcome to the club bro. About 15 years ago, I broke mine, compound fracture, about 2" of bone sticking outta my shoulder, even the paramedic was looking a little queasy when he saw it, I wasen't doing much better.

Collar bone fractures are tough because you can't really put a cast on it. I spent a month lying on my back waiting for it to fuse back together, when it did, it overlapped a bit instead of end to end. The doctor wanted to break it again so it would heal "correctly". I said no thanks, I will live with the bump.

Plan on taking it easy for a while. Get a tennis ball and spend a lot of time squeezing it so your arm muscles don't atrophy.

Looks like your post count is gonna increase cuz you will be spending a lot of time on the computer...

Didn't someone look at it and tell you it need a plate or something? I'm afraid of mine healing incorrectly now!

like 90% of the time you dont need a plate. docs will only do it if they have too. you should have posted this in the health and fitness forum

like 90% of the time you dont need a plate. docs will only do it if they have too. you should have posted this in the health and fitness forum

sorry didn't think about that forum:bonk:

Didn't someone look at it and tell you it need a plate or something? I'm afraid of mine healing incorrectly now!

My neighbour had broken his collar bone as well a few years prior to mine, he had a plate installed and ended up having numerous problems with the screws they used. He told me to avoid getting a plate except as a last resort. A few years later another doctor examined my collar bone and said with all the new bone growth has resulted in a stronger than normal collar bone, kinda like a killer welding job on a cracked frame.

Don't worry about it, if you are young, it will heal fine, and you will have a great story to tell the girls...

post count will definitely go up...injuries suck.....i'm on my second knee surgery......deal with the pain and chat away.....not much else you can do.......

IMHO the ONLY thing to do is to get it plated!! I have done it twice and compared to letting it heal naturally it is sooo much faster and less painful. Plus it won't heal with a big goofy lump on your shoulder.

GO TO THE HEALTH FORUM...DO A SEARCH AND READ MINE AND MANY MANY OTHER STORIES OF GOING TO SEE DR MARK---GET IT FIXED, AND GET IT FIXED RIGHT

I can spend 20min typing the benefits and how awesome the whole process is, but you should read for yourself.

do a search..search posts by me, see my pics...read others stories then call Doc and get it fixed, then go ride.

Well the doc told me that its going to heal with a bump, but to go ahead and keep wearing a sling. He also told me to take it out of the sling every once in a while and move it around. I can move pretty well from the elbow down, but I can't really move from the shoulder. Is this normal?