Sign in to follow this  

Flywheel options

Im looking to smooth out the YZ a bit. Im looking for a few good options for FWWs. I saw stealhy but havent been able to find any others. My bike is an 02 and I was looking for the GYTR FWW but saw it doesnt fit, do they make one that fits? I heard they make an offroad flywheel also, any links because I cant find it?

True, the GYTR FWW fits '03 and higher YZ250s only.:worthy:

Steahly even makes their FWW special to fit the '02 specific crank.

You might also look into Trail Tech MSR or SFF for a complete weighted flywheel instead of just a FWW.:D

Of interest on the Steahly site was steel clutch plates to replace the aluminum ones in your stock clutch. It is claimed that they smooth power while wearing less. Made by Barnett priced at $6 each.:)

Do an "advanced search," for "flywheel weight," specify "thread titles," and "Yamaha two-stroke forum," and you will see lots of discussions and information on this topic.

My son just brought a yz 250 the guy he brought it off had a engineer mate make him a 15.0z flywheel weight ,...now i ride a yz 426, so i thought the 250 was going to be slow with such a heavy flywheel weight ...BOY WAS I WRONG :) And down slow when we are in tight woods

all i can say is its a CHUG MACHINE with the right flywheelweight these things are a bloody fast woods bike

Dave:ride:

True, the GYTR FWW fits '03 and higher YZ250s only.:worthy:

Steahly even makes their FWW special to fit the '02 specific crank.

You might also look into Trail Tech MSR or SFF for a complete weighted flywheel instead of just a FWW.:D

Of interest on the Steahly site was steel clutch plates to replace the aluminum ones in your stock clutch. It is claimed that they smooth power while wearing less. Made by Barnett priced at $6 each.:)

My current clutch already has the steel plates, Ive only heard of the GYTR complete flywheel, so Ill make sure to check out the other complete flywheels also.

Do an "advanced search," for "flywheel weight," specify "thread titles," and "Yamaha two-stroke forum," and you will see lots of discussions and information on this topic.

Yes I did that, but only once did I find mention of the GYTR flywheel so I wanted to check on that and see what it was about.

I would expect that an 01 would fit as they utilise the same crank

I thought the crank got a little larger on the ignition side???? Somewhere near or in 2003???

I thought the crank got a little larger on the ignition side???? Somewhere near or in 2003???

It would have to have been 03 then since almost all the companies dont make 02 on their list.

That is correct Roland. They increased the diameter of the crank shaft at the taper where the flywheel sits. So basically they changed the taper and put a bigger nut on the end. Supposedly for reliability purposes.??👍

That is correct Roland. They increased the diameter of the crank shaft at the taper where the flywheel sits. So basically they changed the taper and put a bigger nut on the end. Supposedly for reliability purposes.??👍

That would probably only effect somethign complete like the GYTR flywheel weight, right???

That would probably only effect somethign complete like the GYTR flywheel weight, right???

I have no idea, but I take it that the 03 Crank cannot be placed in an 02. I may need to see if I can get a newer powerplant and swap it into my bike.

I have no idea, but I take it that the 03 Crank cannot be placed in an 02. I may need to see if I can get a newer powerplant and swap it into my bike.

Just so you can have a GYTR FWW?? Damn! They're good and all but a Steahly of any desired weight has got to be 99.97% as good as the GTYR.👍

I just did a double check on the part numbers and it seems I was misinformed.

Left hand crank side seems to be the same part number. According to the parts listing it is the right hand one that has changed.

That being said there are different part numbers for the fly wheel and nut and washer holding it on.

Bearings and seals are the same so the cranks could definately be swaped IF the gears match.

I have installed a Zip-TY fww on a mates bike that worked fine and is removable. They are actually very easy to make if you had a lathe.

I agree with the zip ty kit being good. I had one for my 97. It was easy to change weights. Once I settled on the weight I liked it would have been easy to weld on.

I would never upgrade the motor to use the gytr weight. Its not that special. Its pretty cheap and easy to work with but as surbitup said the Steahly is as good...maybe even better as it has a wider selection of weights. I am starting to think flywheel weight would be a great tuning tool....no one size fits all for every situation.

However, I think Mr Bones should buy that new motor. Please sell me that piece of old crap 2002 motor you no longer will need. I bet I can put it to good use.

I never said the 02 was a piece of crap, Hell I got a 125 shifter cart chassis thats feeling a little underpowered with that 1971 CR125 engine in it. But it depends on what youre going to do with the 250 engine if I sell it to you. I just like having options more than just some one with a monopoly on a part I need. Monopolies are good for business not customers.

I was joking about the 02 motor.....really, it would be crazy to switch to somethign newer for a specific flywheel weight.

If I had a spare 2002 motor, or a back up yz 250 motor of any year I would probably take some time and build a super motor. Big bore kit, WR tranny, anything I wanted. The cost could be spread out over the year and by the time it was done it would be somethign special.

Having the spare motor would be dream..no downtime while building it up. Often times I have settled for stock parts just to avoid not being able to ride.

With that begin said, I cannot think of any advantage of using a 2002 or 2003-2006 motor. If mods are on the plate there is no reason to select a specific year.

I was joking about the 02 motor.....really, it would be crazy to switch to somethign newer for a specific flywheel weight.

If I had a spare 2002 motor, or a back up yz 250 motor of any year I would probably take some time and build a super motor. Big bore kit, WR tranny, anything I wanted. The cost could be spread out over the year and by the time it was done it would be somethign special.

Having the spare motor would be dream..no downtime while building it up. Often times I have settled for stock parts just to avoid not being able to ride.

With that begin said, I cannot think of any advantage of using a 2002 or 2003-2006 motor. If mods are on the plate there is no reason to select a specific year.

Odd thing is everyone lists their FWW as 03-06 and 02s are seperate however the zipty says 02-05

The zip ty weight set I had was mounted with three bolts. You had to drill and tap the flywheel. Better yet, do like BRM suggested and have a machinist make weights that are similar. Here is the zip ty weld on model. http://www.ziptyracing.com/products/product_detail.aspx?id=MTI2Ng== It would end up being identical to the gytr weight.

This is the bolt on model for the yz 250 http://www.ziptyracing.com/products/product_detail.aspx?id=MTI2Ng==

If the taper on the shaft is different on the newer bikes, the old flywheel might not fit even though it could have the same physical dimensions. No big deal. Many people use the steahly weight and its a good one.

Well, Im going to go with steahly then. On a scale of one to ten how difficult is it to install? One would be any one could do it in about an hour or less, 5 harder than a top end and about 2 hours long or so, 10 would be only take it to a shop to do.