Sign in to follow this  

Semics Course - Review

Well, I got home late last night from the Semics Course and am taking it easy today. I am pretty darn sore from riding quite a bit. We basically rode for about 5 1/2 hours or so a day. Most of the training is done on his track, and when I say most, I would say 95%.

The first day was all corners. Gary made a couple of big circles and then turned the two circles into a big oval. We started by learning some basics, and then some more technique was thrown in. I loved the dirt. It was nearly perfect after he disked it up. It was pretty amazing to go from the speed that you start, and then the speed that you have when you finish the drill. I am a beginner on 2 wheels, and I felt awfully slow at first. By then end of the day, I felt some confidence that I can handle a corner now. The thing I liked best was having Gary point out what you were doing wrong. What I thought I was doing and what I was actually doing were entirely different. ie. I thought I was riding with my elbows up. Gary pointed out very quickly that I need to get them in the proper position, even though I thought I had them there. Well, when I got them in the right position, it was so much easier to control the bike and it was awesome.

The second day was Jumps, whoops, and starts. I really needed help with jumps bad. The cool thing here was that many of my buddies were telling me I was doing this wrong and telling I was doing that wrong before I went, and they turned out to be wrong. I had problems with jumping with the nose high. Two of my buddies swore I was pulling up on the bars. I never felt I did pull on the bars, but they swore that was one of my problems. Well, after Gary explained jumping, and after focusing on what he wanted me to focus on while controlling the bike, I could immediately see a difference. I learned why I was jumping nose high and what caused it and how to fix it. A good tip he also gave me was to get on the throttle right before I landed. I used to land kinda of rough and sometimes bounce a little out of control. After hitting the throttle before landing, many of the rough landings disappeared.

On the starts, he gave us several pearls. I was really surprised how many tips he had on starts. One of the guys I went with really improved his starts big time using his techniques.

Overall, I probably got more out of the course being a beginner than some of the advanced guys in the class. The majority of our class was pretty slow IMO so Gary had to teach to that level. The few fast guys did get helped, but I probably got more out of it seeing how I had more to learn. I think if I were a fast rider, I would opt for private lessons since I am sure Gary gets into more advanced skills and tips for fast guys. It is hard to get 15 fast guys I am sure in 1 class that can absorb and be able to do the advanced techniques.

Gary's track is pretty sweet. It was a little too big for my skills. He keeps everything groomed and water really well. I was very impressed with the track maintenance both before and during the class. Gary likes to have a good surface to ride on. The track would be really, really fun for guys with some skills. It was fun to watch Gary and David Kilgore hit that track. They make it look pretty easy.

One of the things I really liked was that Gary gets out there and demonstrates the techniques. It is easier to watch and learn than to just listen and learn.

Overall, I got what I wanted out of the class, that was to learn how to ride safer and better, and to understand how to control a bike on the track better so I can watch and teach my son better.

I'll be going back when I have some better skills from practicing what he taught us from this class.

I own a couple of his DVD's already and have heard his techniques before, but having him actually watch you and give you tips is worth the money. I understand much more now why the bike acts the way it does under different conditions than I did before.

Cool sounds like you enjoyed yourself , nothing like learning how to do it right !

thanks for the report , now I would like to take some lessons also.

Robert

That sounds very cool, spending time with GAry on his track, wish we had the same here in South Africa.

I had problems with jumping with the nose high. Two of my buddies swore I was pulling up on the bars. I never felt I did pull on the bars, but they swore that was one of my problems. Well, after Gary explained jumping, and after focusing on what he wanted me to focus on while controlling the bike, I could immediately see a difference. I learned why I was jumping nose high and what caused it and how to fix it.

I am a beginner to mx as well and have been working on my jumps. There are times where same as you, I come off the jump a little bit nose high. I am curious what you focused on or changed to correct this problem.

Thanks !!!

I am a beginner to mx as well and have been working on my jumps. There are times where same as you, I come off the jump a little bit nose high. I am curious what you focused on or changed to correct this problem.

Thanks !!!

Gary had me focus on throttle control mostly, and body position. I has accelerating a little too much off of the face. I tried to focus on keeping my speed constant and then making sure I was then moving my body either forward or backward to keep the bike level. Hope that makes sense, but the most important thing I learned was throttle control.

Guys of Semic's caliber don't grow on trees. I would love to do a school with him (a legend to me) and I'm not even an MXer anymore!! Money well spent and it'll take a long time to digest what you've learned. Some guys laugh at me because I'm old, slow, have no natural ability, yet still work hard every ride to be a better smoother rider. Opportunities to learn from such accomplished Pros like Semics are ones of a lifetime. Money well spent!!!

Guys of Semic's caliber don't grow on trees. I would love to do a school with him (a legend to me) and I'm not even an MXer anymore!! Money well spent and it'll take a long time to digest what you've learned. Some guys laugh at me because I'm old, slow, have no natural ability, yet still work hard every ride to be a better smoother rider. Opportunities to learn from such accomplished Pros like Semics are ones of a lifetime. Money well spent!!!

I think it was a bargain. I wish the whole class understood what a legend Gary is. I think some of the young guys just know him as McGrath's teacher, and they do not know what he did before McGrath was even born.