Sign in to follow this  

TC 450 Starting problems

Hi, I have a 04 TC 450 thats been a nightmare of a bike, this bike is hard to start, sometime it will fire up other times nothing. I can bump start it if I have a big enough hill to roll down. I had it in the shop who charged me $300.00 dollars to rejet and adjust valves, and still same problem. Any help would be much appreciated

Mate - sounds like your valves may have closed up to much (doesn't make sense though since you have had it checked out) I had the same bike and this did happen once but found the valves where closed right up (inlet) these bikes did have a known problem with the valve seats - seats where cut in one factory and the valves themselves came from another and hence a slight error with the seating and over time the seat fails. I had mine repaired under warranty and things where fine there after. I now have an 08 TC 450 and love it!

Valves would be the first thing to check. My 2004 TE450 was also very hard to start until I replaced the Mikuni with a Keihin FCR.

Any clue what jets are in it? They are a nightmare, until jetted properly. Then they start beautifully.

Search this forum, it has been covered in detail.

I have an 04 TC450 that had recently become hard to start. I bought the bike new 4 years ago and ride it probably twice per month average. My intake valves tightened up about 3 months ago. I have shimmed them to the upper/lower (depending on how you look at it) end of the spec. It starts right up now but I'm keeping an eye on the valves while I wait in line to get a valve job (another month or so). Still ride it but not as aggressive. Double check your intake valves as shimming them is less expensive than a Kehein carb. I'd bought the Kehein FCR pumper for my bike, but would not do it again if I had it over. It is a better carb but once you get the Mikuni dialed, there is not much difference for the average rider and the Mikuni works great. Thats my two cents. I cant remember what configuration of jets I had in the Mikuni but it did work great once jetted properly. If my memory is correct I had the following........

Needle.........10F01-50 Middle clip

175 Main

35 Pilot

Good luck

Jerry

What size Keihin did you put on your bike? and did you mess with the mikuni much, or just switched over to Keihin?

It's a 37mm, but that's because I ride trails only and was interested in more low end at the expense of peak power. Most of all that was the best deal I found on ebay ($200) and the carb was new.

I messed with the Mikuni a lot but it never performed as well as the Keihin, mostly when it comes to starting the engine. The hotstart is also a nice feature.

Anyway, I agree that if you manage to make the Mikuni work there is no reason to replace it.