Sign in to follow this  

fork oil changing question (XR-250L)

I have to take the fork tubes off to replace boots, so I thought that I might as well replace the oil in the forks as well. I have the service manual, and it states both the volume and the level of oil to use. I would think that if I put the correct volume of oil in that it would be at the right level, no? Is it just a matter of taking the cap of the tube and dumping the old oil? I would like the front a little stiffer, what wt oil should I use?

Doesn't the service manual go through the procedure pretty well? It should also tell you what the recommended fluid is. I believe SS-7 is 10w, which is what I run. The clickers should let you change the stiffness. If you don't have any, you can run a little thicker oil. You can mix 10w with 15w to get 12w.

I would think that if I put the correct volume of oil in that it would be at the right level, no? Is it just a matter of taking the cap of the tube and dumping the old oil?
If you don't pump the damper rod assembly (with the fork upside down), some oil remains inside the fork. Filling and then measuring insures that the volume of air is the same in both fork tubes (desirable so both forks perform the same). Make sure you stroke the damper rod to get the air out, like the manual says.

You can also adjust the oil height to regulate bottoming. More oil/less air will provide a higher air pressure at any given point in the stroke and will help prevent bottoming. Less oil/more air will bottom easier but the initial-to-mid-stroke action will be lighter. Ideally you want the later, provided that you don't bottom harshly for your riding style and terrain.

Measure oil height with the springs and spacers removed and the forks collapsed, from the top lip of the fork tubes to the oil surface. I use a steel ruler and insert it a fixed distance, like 6 inches, then subtract the amount of oil shown on the ruler to get the oil height.