Sign in to follow this  

why is oil clean oil leaking from......

I have an 01 300 exc the damn thing is leaking oil from the seal between the cylinder head and the cylinder. What oil coild it be? it's not premix stuff, it looks clean, very clean. does oil run up thrue ports in the cylinder for cooling along with the radiator? I'm a little baffled. It's leaking in the very front. just under the water inlet from the radiator. Enough to fill half a shot glass on the floor.

I'm looking at the parts manual and I see two orings i'm hoping its just a matter of removing the cylinder head,replacing orings and put head back on. Any ideas?

it may be from a hole used to take a bolt out for PV parts. On the 200 for instance the head oring has a seal for this hole built in and it can ooze out, but its usually black spooge oil. Should not be any gearbox oil there. Sure its not anti freeze? Its oily feeling and looking in small quantities.

The only way I can think of for oil to get there would be if the gearbox vent hose was plugged and the pressure is pushing it out thru there somehow. This of course may mean that you also have a bad right side crank seal that is causing the excess pressure. Check the vent tube first.

Yea Tony, there shouldn't be any clean oil coming from there. How long has it been doing that? Like Mike said, are you positive it's not antifreeze? Antifreeze tastes sweet in case you're not positive. :D As for the bad crank seal, I wouldn't know. I'm not that experienced but I have read that happening before.

Hopefully that's not the case being that your bike has very low hours on it. If that is the problem, Mike at CCM can fix it no problem. He's a pretty good mechanic. :) If you would like, I can give a second opinion. Is it possible for Wheeler to come over and take a look at it since he lives down the road? He's pretty knowledgeable about KTMs' and bikes in general.

we've spoken to him about it and he was baffled too. I went to feel the oil on the garage floor again and it was gone. Either my dog licked it up or it evaporated because it gone, completely. I'm thinking it must have been antifreeze. I'll check my oil level, clean it up good and warm it up again and get a better look.

If it was in fact anti freeze, your dog probably did lick it up. Which isn't good. You may have pressure building up and puching oil into the cylinder or powervalve assembly somehow, and leaking out there.