Sign in to follow this  

97 rm 250 tickover probs?

hi all, been out 2day on the bike and its wont tick over, its like i have no adjustment on the plastic mixture screw, even fully in doesnt make a difference! it revs and goes fine, very smooth, but unless its revved straight away from kick start it dies, cold or warm its the same? any help appreciated, thanks

Could be the pilot jet and/or pilot circuit in the carb is clogged. There should be two screws on the side of the carb: one for idle and another for mixture.

checked, all jets are clean, still no different, mixture screw is at 1 3/4 turns out, idle screw fully in!

still no joy with this, ive had the carb apart again and it is 100 % clean, nothing is blocked. checked the operation of the idle screw and it is lifting the slide as i tighten it, but its not making a difference when the bike runs? i have double checked also, its running a 172 main jet, a 48 pilot and needle is at 3rd position. could it be the air filter? it is the one that came in bits with the bike but i have cleaned it and re oiled it using the k&n pack.like i said before, it revs and goes fine ( atleast i think it does but my cousin has had mx bikes all his life and he seems to think its going well) have also noticed that the throttle cable is just resting in the carb cap, should it be clipped in inside? doesnt make a differenvce to the revving but im really scrathing my head to what this could be?!? thanks in advance

If the screw is all the way in you may have an air leak. I'd check the rubber manifold between the carb and the reeds and the gasket between the reed block and the cylinder.

I don't understand your statement about the carb cable. The cable should be retained in the slide with a plastic clip, but that shouldn't affect the idle.

thanks alpo, will check but im pretty sure the rubbers are ok? what i meant withe the throttle cable is where it goes into the cap that screws to the top of the carb, if you unscrew it from the carb, so yo still have the spring and slide attached. if you look in the inside of the cap you can see a brass part of the throttle cable, mine looks broken. it rests in the cap ok but is not secure

ok, checked the rubbers, they are fine, noticed that one of the reeds is resting different to the others, 3 of them lie flat on the reed cage, one of them has about a 1mm gap, will this make a difference? i have ordered a new air filter to eliminate that also.

I can't picture what you're talking about. If the cable is pulling the slide up it's probably OK.

Sounds like time for some new reeds. They need to lie flat against the cage. That bent one could be the not-idling problem.

ok, after spending a day swapping parts of my uncs rm, found out it was a worn needle! fitted some two stage reeds and a new filter also and it seems ok now, thanks for your help alpo