Sign in to follow this  

bought a used crf 250 **[b]Update[/b]** pics

Bike is impossilbe to start.. when it runs it runs great.. however it will die when i pull in clutch... after ripping on it.. but idles when i first start it.

Picture076-2.jpg

Picture075-1.jpg

Picture074-1.jpg

what is the red thing?? pilot screw?

Picture073-1.jpg

Picture072-1.jpg

clean head.. possibly true that a valve job has been done!

Picture071-1.jpg

well i bought a crf 250.. and it has a hard time starting even when it is warm...

and how am i suppose to warm it up?? i see there is a choke lever of some sort...

and in what position is the gas on and off.

but runs smooth through the rev range.. he said he did valves idk....

is there any info on this bike on what oil to use and how often to change it??

i dont have a manual

well when its warm use the hotstart to start it.

when the arm is down on the petcock the gas is on. when its toward the front it off

use rotella t 15w 40 oil it works great in these bikes. and change it 1-2 hours or 1 tank of gas.

keep the airfilter clean also

you really need a manual to work on these things i have the service manual for it and its awesome

so if my bike isnt starting.. and every few kicks i hear like a air pop come out of the exhaust that means????

and are you serious every tank of gas or 2 hours ???

isnt that exspensive??

and can i use something from the honda dealership?

The choke is on the left side of the bike kinda by the petcock. Pull it out to turn the choke on. I change my oil every 5 tanks or so. I cant imagine doing it every tank, that would be every day. I use honda oil

The choke is on the left side of the bike kinda by the petcock. Pull it out to turn the choke on. I change my oil every 5 tanks or so. I cant imagine doing it every tank, that would be every day. I use honda oil

what is the petcock...

what is the hotstart? is that the choke??? uck im so confused.... so is there a hotstart and then a choke?? is there a thing that decribes what all the componets are?

no, the hot start is on the handle bars (the small lever above the clutch) and is used to start the bike hot. the choke is down by the carb on the left side and is used to start the bike cold. The petcoke is the fuel valve, follow the line that come out of the gas tank on the bottom and you will find it. its also on the left side.

Get a honda service manual and it will explain everything you can think of. If the engine is poping and does not start well, it could be the valves, even though they were supposidly done already. The choke is used when the bike is cold. The hot start is used when the bike is hot, like when you stall it and need to restart it. Oil changes are a must and need to be frequent, same for the air filter. I beleave the hot start lever is on the handle bars on the clutch side. Am I right guys? The choke is on the carb. Have fun with the bike, they are fun.

what is a key to knowing it is the valves?? a known symtom

If you ride your bike hard or moderately hard the oil should be changed after every ride/ 1 to 2 hrs/ one tank of gas period. Use shell rotella t 15w40 diesel oil, it is a high quality oil and not expensive. You can get a 20L pail at wallmart for around 50-60 dollars.

If you are just learning how to ride and are easy on the bike you can get away with every couple or three rides for oil changes.

Do oil filters every 10 hrs.

i can ride all day when i go up to a trail... is that ok... lol would be riding for like 5 + hours.... not straight but.. ya know what i mean

i can ride all day when i go up to a trail... is that ok... lol would be riding for like 5 + hours.... not straight but.. ya know what i mean

You are fine for a all day ride out in the trail... Just make sure you change oils after every ride... The bike will thank you :)

And use 800 - 825 ccs in the transmission

Trans fill is on top of the clutch cover - drain is by the shifter

Engine fill is on top of the ignition cover - left side - drain is right underneath the motor.

For the engine use 660 ccs w/out filter change and 690 with filter change. Always start the bike, let it run for a bit, then re check levels, they will be low because the oil circulates around. You check the oil without screwing down the dip stick.

-- and be sure it is clean around the area before checking oil to make sure nothing falls in.

thanks man!

i see the drain cap.. the tranny cap.. and the oil FILLER cap.. but there is no cap for oil with a dip stick...

keeping the oil fresh and the air filter clean are the most important things to stay on top of in the day to day runnings of these bikes.

Buy a service manual, it tells you how to maintain all the components of your bike and how often they should be checked/replaced.

on the ignition cover there should be a cap with a dip stick on it, unless you have an aftermarket fill cover for the engine oil... Then just measure out what I have said...

dont touch the bike!!! get your hands on a manual and look up every question you have, this isnt a bike that you fill with gas and ride. You will mess this thing up big time with your current knowledge on bikes.

Do you think taking it to a honda dealership to get the bike straighted out is a bad idea/??

taking pics of bike..

Bike is impossilbe to start.. when it runs it runs great.. however it will die when i pull in clutch... after ripping on it.. but idles when i first start it.

Picture076-2.jpg

Picture075-1.jpg

Picture074-1.jpg

what is the red thing?? pilot screw?

Picture073-1.jpg

Picture072-1.jpg

clean head.. possibly true that a valve job has been done!

Picture071-1.jpg

well i bought a crf 250.. and it has a hard time starting even when it is warm...

and how am i suppose to warm it up?? i see there is a choke lever of some sort...

and in what position is the gas on and off.

but runs smooth through the rev range.. he said he did valves idk....

is there any info on this bike on what oil to use and how often to change it??

i dont have a manual

yes that red thing is the pilot/fuel screw. its an aftermarket one.