Sign in to follow this  

track question

im almost done putting together my 98 cr250. after i get used to the bike im going to start hitting the track. the one thing i am most concerned about is how the hell am i supposed to know how fast i need to go to hit the jumps correctly and land where im supposed to land. i know that im going to get bored hitting singles. someone told me i should pace a more experienced rider but hey where did they learn ya know? there is a 70ft double at one local track, last thing i want to do is come up short on something like that. how do i know?

It will come with seat time, start out on table tops and play around with different speeds and progressively land farther. There is no right answer, you will know when you know :)

When I started hitten jumps I was really unsure to, but I also had some more experienced guys teaching me and theres no better way then trial and error just start small and work your way up. Hope it works out for you.

I'm not sure where you are at in Florida but i would recomend Pax for a place to learn jumps. Its just north of Daytona. I have been there several times in the last few years while its crap here in ohio. Its mostly table tops and you can judge them with out getting too punished.

yes casing 70ft doubles is not fun been there done that dont want to go back like everybody else said it will come with seat time when you're ready you'll know

If you have to ask how fast to hit a 70ft double then you are definitely not ready for it. Roll the jumps first and then gradually start to go a little faster. Start by hitting smaller jumps and successfully clearing them and you will learn how to judge distance and the amount of throttle you need. Good Luck.

alright. thanks for the tips. one other question i have is should i be wot on the lip of the jump or half throttle? what if im haulin ass do i need to let off before i hit the lip?

If you have to ask how fast to hit a 70ft double then you are definitely not ready for it. Roll the jumps first and then gradually start to go a little faster. Start by hitting smaller jumps and successfully clearing them and you will learn how to judge distance and the amount of throttle you need. Good Luck.

i never said i was ready lol. i just know that is one of my goals.

I'm not sure where you are at in Florida but i would recomend Pax for a place to learn jumps. Its just north of Daytona. I have been there several times in the last few years while its crap here in ohio. Its mostly table tops and you can judge them with out getting too punished.

im in the tampa area. too far to go to daytona thats for sure. sad thing is one of the best tracks around here which is known for its huge table tops closed down. a bunch of the good local tracks have closed down lately. sucks ass, i think 4 strokes are to blame :)

thier too busy fixin thier broken 4 strokes to go support thier local tracks :D

Jumping will come with seat time. But just remember it's always better to over jump than to come up short.

If you are WFO on the face of the jump then you will go a lot farther but your bike will go nose high. If you roll the face of the jump it slows you down a lot.

If you over-jump it make sure you are squeezing the bike with your knees and try and stay as straight as possible because you will bounce.

im in the tampa area. too far to go to daytona thats for sure. sad thing is one of the best tracks around here which is known for its huge table tops closed down. a bunch of the good local tracks have closed down lately. sucks ass, i think 4 strokes are to blame :D

thier too busy fixin thier broken 4 strokes to go support thier local tracks :worthy:[/QUOTE]

:)

im in the tampa area. too far to go to daytona thats for sure. sad thing is one of the best tracks around here which is known for its huge table tops closed down. a bunch of the good local tracks have closed down lately. sucks ass, i think 4 strokes are to blame :)

thier too busy fixin thier broken 4 strokes to go support thier local tracks :D

Who got closed down? Quick track? I just hope you are not talking about Sunshine.

Back on topic, this is a pretty silly thread. If you have to ask, you aren't near ready. When you are ready, you won't need to ask. You will be riding behind guys that are hitting the big ones, and you will eventually fell comfortable following them over. By that time, you will realize that it is EASIER to just jump them, than it is to slam on the brakes to not jump them.

When you do start feeling comfortable, it's mind over matter clearing that double on your own. Good Luck

BTW, until you are on a bike, most jumps seem easy. So don't go WFO to it for the first time or you will get scared shitless and back off and hurt your self. Also, make sure the middle of the pegs is under the center of your ankle. If your feet are too far back(toes on pegs) you will brake/bust your ankles and might slip which can also brake a leg.

Who got closed down? Quick track? I just hope you are not talking about Sunshine.

Back on topic, this is a pretty silly thread. If you have to ask, you aren't near ready. When you are ready, you won't need to ask. You will be riding behind guys that are hitting the big ones, and you will eventually fell comfortable following them over. By that time, you will realize that it is EASIER to just jump them, than it is to slam on the brakes to not jump them.

lakeland anddddddd, crap i forgot the other one. lakeland bein the good one. sunshine will always be open man dont worry.

id rather ask before i get to a track, never had a track day just lookin for some pointers.

if your new on the track keep your line. go strait so that you dont get run over by other riders. faster riders will pass you safely if your not all over the track. and if your running a 4 stroke never let off the gas....espesially on the lip of a jump. you will nose dive really hard and maybe cry... its scary!! yopu will soon find out thet the jumps on a track are a lot differant than the ones at home. by that i mean that they shoot you into the air where as the ones at home are most likly to be worn down. keep your line breath and you will soon find out its not hard to judge at all. every bike is a little differant so its hard to answer your question. SEAT TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, until you are on a bike, most jumps seem easy. So don't go WFO to it for the first time or you will get scared shitless and back off and hurt your self. Also, make sure the middle of the pegs is under the center of your ankle. If your feet are too far back(toes on pegs) you will brake/bust your ankles and might slip which can also brake a leg.

see thats wearied to me. I have all ways ridden my bikes almost on my toes for over 12years and i have never had a problem, Even when i use to ride my moutan bike and bmx bikes i all ways ride like that and i never had a problem.:)

see thats wearied to me. I have all ways ridden my bikes almost on my toes for over 12years and i have never had a problem, Even when i use to ride my moutan bike and bmx bikes i all ways ride like that and i never had a problem.:)

I used to ride like that too. Then I can up short and I thought I broke my ankles, they were hurting and numb and I couldn't move my feet. Luckily I regained feeling about 10 minutes later. That's a quick way to change an old habit.

your fine with your toes on the pegs for now. its when you case 70 ft that you need your heel on the peg; so that all of your weight is on your heels and not on your ankles when you drop 30 feet onto a suspention that is bottomed out.

your fine with your toes on the pegs for now. its when you case 70 ft that you need your heel on the peg; so that all of your weight is on your heels and not on your ankles when you drop 30 feet onto a suspention that is bottomed out.

some times i will change how my feet are on the pegs but most of the times like when hiting ajump im on my toes. A som odd years back i had a decent wreck from my foot going up a jump slaming on the rear brake.:):D So after than i have all ways stayed on my toes