Sign in to follow this  

1996 rm 250 smoke probs

i got a 96 rm 250 runs great everythings fine but it smokes alot using maxima 927 / 32:1 ratio smokes alot / then tried maxima super M ratio 32:1 smokes much less but not enough less / please help by telling me what ratio you run your rm 250 !!thanks

and i like to know what exhaust you run cuase i have fmf turbine core 2 and your suggestions on silencers

Try a higher ratio, like 40:1. I run 50:1 and it only smokes a little after I've been lugging it for a long time. If you don't like that, I've run Repsol at 24:1 and it doesn't smoke at all.

you probably need to rejet the bike,but check the plug 1st. I run silkoline comp2 at 32:1 for MX with minimal smoke. I prefer stock exhaust, but just bought the pc with the 304 factory sound silencer, because it was cheaper than stock. I also did a lot of research before finding the right exhaust for my bike and riding style.

to mihylo33 really what do i need to rejet

Rejet the carb, but first pull the sparkplug and check the color. it should be a blackish brown. If it is oily,black and or soot covered then the carb needs to be jetted properly. If you are unsure about the plug take a picture of the bottom of it and post it. Also get yourself an owners manual it will tell you how to jet and do repairs on your own.

One more thing, how fast are you riding this bike? Are you lugging it around through trails or are you running it wide open like MX or desert?

I run Motul at 50:1 with VP red.One fatter on the main with a P.C. pipe and shorty silencer.Bike runs great. Do yourself a favor and order the shop manuel for your bike, it's the best money I've spent on the bike.Hope this helps.

Chris

Maxima 927 is a Castor-Synthetic blend and any oil that is partial Castor based is going to smoke more than an All-Synthetic, a Synthetic-petro blend, and even most all Petro-based oils.

The only oil I know of that smokes more than Maxima 927 is Klotz Benol which is straight Castor.

Castor lubricates better than anything, but it also leaves a varnish on power valves, and piston crowns along with large amounts of smoke.

Spark plugs should not be BLACK at all when jetted properly. BLACK indicates a VERY rich condition which is detrimental to power.

Properly jetted plugs should be visually medium-brown on the ceramic with dark-brown being acceptable.

im going decent speed in trails and sometimes like to go fast i just just changed premix to the super m and it spills it from carb breather tubes it needs adjusting and jetting

Start by cleaning your carb thoroughly and running it. If it still smokes then rejet it. Also if you are running trails then go ahead and bump your premix ratio to 40:1 and see what happens. you have the turbine core silencer might as well get the matching pipe and repack the silencer