Sign in to follow this  

Uphill tips for noob.

I took my DRZ off road yesterday crashed alot mostly going up somewhat steep hills, roots, rocks, and ruts as deep as the rear brake lever or deeper. I was unable due to terrain to use speed or momentum to help carry me uphill limbs at chest high, or cut log ends in the only line forcing me to take the rut.

1. When pushing from the shifter side trying to gas and clutch and use the front brake to keep the motorcycle from rolling back is their a trick?

2. In the Grey stank mud the rear wheel tries to pass me up when on and off the gas.

3. Any other pointers that you care to share, and thanks William:thumbsup:

try to come up in 2nd or 3rd, not first, a drz should pull just fine, keep chuggin through till you reach the top, THEN shift, or you can shift without clutch

I climb most hills in 2nd try that. what bike are you using. stand up with your head over the bars.

Just commit and focus on your desired path and if you must shift on a hill dont use the clutch just hit the shifter down.:)

Momentum is everything, look up the hill as soon as you can and try to map out the easiest path. As soon as you do that, get on the gas and stay steady, dont make any fast or drastic corrections or you'll shoot yourself in the foot. Other than that keep your weight forward and stay on the gas.

focus on where you want to go, not where you don't want to go. If you see a rut off to the side or a rock, look at the path where you want to go, not what your trying to avoid. If you keep having a problem riding into object your trying to avoid, do a search on here for object fixation.

Tire pressure might be something to check. If you can lower your tire pressure with out worrying about hitting a rock and pinching the tube, do it.

Remember during hill climbs there are times to sit down, and try to keep weight on the rear, and times to stand up. Sometimes leaning back a little and rolling on the gas slow will get you going uphill faster then leaning forward and just pinning it. You can sit back down, or stand back up mid hill too.

My bike is much smoother in 2nd than 1st, like if I'm starting out again on a hill, the tire doesn't go sideways (so much). On muddy hills I sit back a bit too, and look for traction spots I can get a power boost off of--rocks, roots, or places along the side of the trail where it's drier and not all slicked up so much. Pay attention and experiment with surfaces on the trail to see where you get better traction or none, then you know when to gas it if you need it. Dont' fight the rut.

Yes, you need to keep weight on the front to keep from wheelie-ing, but when there's rocks and roots and ledges you have to keep a light touch on the front so it hops up and over and not bogs down into stuff.

i ride at the pits alot. Wat do you do position wise when the last few feet are 90 degrees or a tad sharper at the top of a 40 foot hill>?

Okay guys i have problem climbing very easy looking uphill. It's in the clay pit so when it rains, day after it's full of ruts. I was there yesterday and tried to climb it severeal times but ended up with broken clutch. It's about 15 foot long and about 55 degrees steep so not really a problem but it's all ruted and on bad position, you just can't get momentum, you have to start 2 foot from beggining and my 125 2 stroke has problem with that. If i could have just a little momentum i would climb it. On 250 it's not really a problem if you don't hit rut. I tried it all, with clutch, full throtle, low throtle but i just can't do it on 125. What should i do? I can climb all kinds of hills with my 125 MX bike with no problem but this one is pain in the ass to me. If i beat this one at least 3 times on 125 i will consider myself a better rider 👍 so there is motivation but still no momentum.

i ride at the pits alot. Wat do you do position wise when the last few feet are 90 degrees or a tad sharper at the top of a 40 foot hill>?
Kiss the fender and pray.👍

What the second guy said plus commitment and momentum!

best advise I ever got was from Ty Davis he said squat looks almost like sitting but keep your but just off the seat and use your abs to stay forward puts a lot of force on the rear tire but wont let the bike wheelie, works awesome give it a try, very effective on the steep hills we have out west here.

Mike

Okay guys i have problem climbing very easy looking uphill. It's in the clay pit so when it rains, day after it's full of ruts. I was there yesterday and tried to climb it severeal times but ended up with broken clutch. It's about 15 foot long and about 55 degrees steep so not really a problem but it's all ruted and on bad position, you just can't get momentum, you have to start 2 foot from beggining and my 125 2 stroke has problem with that. If i could have just a little momentum i would climb it. On 250 it's not really a problem if you don't hit rut. I tried it all, with clutch, full throtle, low throtle but i just can't do it on 125. What should i do? I can climb all kinds of hills with my 125 MX bike with no problem but this one is pain in the ass to me. If i beat this one at least 3 times on 125 i will consider myself a better rider 👍 so there is motivation but still no momentum.

have you tried taking off in second gear?

Just commit and focus on your desired path and if you must shift on a hill dont use the clutch just hit the shifter down.👍

New to riding: Is this statement true? When the bike starts to slow down on a hill climb, can i just let go of the throttle and just hit the shifter down?

Not sure if everyone will agree...but i upshift and down shift all the time without the clutch. If you have the revs high, when you let off throttle it will just click into gear. If I miss the shift (not common) then I use the clutch cause the rpms have been lost.My gears do not grind and shifts easy.

I have found that on steep rocky hills, it's much easier standing leaning into the hill. Keep your momentum. On the hills I ride, if I'm sitting at the start, I can't transition to a standing position on the hill. It is also easier to pedal backwards with your legs to push off rocks while standing, if your sitting and put a leg out, you will put it into the hill and in harms way.

New to riding: Is this statement true? When the bike starts to slow down on a hill climb, can i just let go of the throttle and just hit the shifter down?

Absolutly, a lot of guys rarly use the clutch to shift gears, i know i use it a lot more for regulating the power to the wheel that shifting.

Mike

My personal opinion - Clutch use is optional depending on load to the gears. If going uphill, let off the gas and shift without the clutch. Downhill is a bit different in that the compression of the engine (Compression is less on 2strokes but still there) is usually engaged and there's torque on the gears, so clutch is usually a good idea. The danger is bending the shifting fork.

My personal techique on uphills is lean over the bars and pin it.

you can shift without using the clutch, the gears are always meshed so they wont grind. If im in a situation where I need a quick shift, I will not use the clutch just close the throttle. (ie on an uphill in the wrong gear)

Whenever I am not necessarily in need of an "emergency shift" I like to and do use the clutch regularly to shift.

thanks for the answer guys

OK not meaning to thread-jack: BUT

What do you guys do when you dont make the climb and are stuck in the middle of the hill?..........

Jump off, then push bike up the hill while feathering the throttle? OR Turn the bike around and ride it down the hill and start over.