Sign in to follow this  

Looks Like My Filters Been Doing It's Job

Mine was clean, but I hear stories about others that were bad enough to cause oil starvation and wrecked top ends. That's why so many people here treat it as a maintenance item.

Before anyone panics about the metal flakes on the filter threads, mine had those too. I think they are just leftovers from cutting the threads in the frame.

After reading the difficulty people were having removing that, I haven't attempted that screen yet. I did do the 600 mile oil change on my new pig yesterday and the prior owner did the 100 mile one and the filter was looking mighty dark. I also went to a 20-50 weight Honda oil.

I imagine you need to drain all the oil before pulling that screen?

The XRL is still in pieces (my build is taking longer than I thought as I have been rebuilding a Toyota Hilux to carry her in) but the engine is due to be stripped this winter so I can see how much wear there is then. I think it would be a good idea to flush the frame out a few times with oil just to be sure

I imagine you need to drain all the oil before pulling that screen?

If you don't drain the oil before pulling the frame filter, it will get drained when you do pull the filter. :)

My screen is clean at every oil change. Wonder where that crud is coming from? Air filter? How many miles since last change? How many miles on bike?

I am about to change the oil in my XRL, where is that oil screen filter at in the frame?

I am about to change the oil in my XRL, where is that oil screen filter at in the frame?

Just below the frame down tube drain. You'll have to remove the oil line coming straight down from the bottom of the downtube. Then use a good six point socket or box end wrench to remove the plug.

Be real careful installing it as you will starve the engine of oil if the oil line attached to it is twisted on re-install.

My screen is clean at every oil change. Wonder where that crud is coming from? Air filter? How many miles since last change? How many miles on bike?

Since it's not metal, I would guess the cam chain sliders.

Is this screen present on 650R's?

If so I'll have to take a look at mine next oil change.

The XRL is still in pieces (my build is taking longer than I thought as I have been rebuilding a Toyota Hilux to carry her in) but the engine is due to be stripped this winter so I can see how much wear there is then. I think it would be a good idea to flush the frame out a few times with oil just to be sure

You shouldn't have bought the HiLux from Top Gear...

Dave

You shouldn't have bought the HiLux from Top Gear...

Dave

err explain please... who or what is top gear:excuseme:

When I first checked the screen on my used XR600 it was almost totally blocked. I now check it about twice a year and there is always something there.

Oh that top gear !!! I found mine sitting under a tree. The previous owner said it had been there for over a year but it still started straight away. Only £250 and it came with a tank full of red diesel... gotta use it all before the police find out

Is this screen present on 650R's?

If so I'll have to take a look at mine next oil change.

It sure is. I only check mine like every other oil change, or every 3000-4000 miles, and there is little to no metal, and crud in it. But i also have magnetic drain bolts, something i think everybody should invest in. They really grab a lot of crap metal out of the oil.

Oh that top gear !!! I found mine sitting under a tree. The previous owner said it had been there for over a year but it still started straight away. Only £250 and it came with a tank full of red diesel... gotta use it all before the police find out

The dye stains the filters too, make sure you change 'em all.

Dave

The dye stains the filters too, make sure you change 'em all.

Dave

Good thinking, hmmm you seem to know a lot about this.... have you been running illegal fuel aswell