Sign in to follow this  

greasing your bearings.

i told my friends that i was going to take off my swingarm and grease all the bearings and stuff and they laughed at me and said no one does that.

ive never done it and i have 30 hrs on my bike so im past due for it.

im just wondering how many of you guys actually grease your bearings and how important it really is?

thanks.

and im going to be doing this later on today is there anything i should watch out for?

if the swingarm bearings are straight forward nothing complicated. just wipe out the old grease and put new in. if your gonna do your linkage watch out when taking them out. they are little needle bearings. they look like little cylinders pressed all the way against the wall and all the way around it. there should be 32 in each if i can remember correctly on the wider ones and there are 2 sets of 32 in each wide one. and on the little one where the shock bolts to there are 27 (i think) they are shorter than the others. if you have a manual read up on it first.

Yeah its about time for you to pack your bearings with grease, you could wait a little longer with out much trouble. It is important to keep your bearings lubricated so they don't get shot. A tub of grease is a lot cheaper than new bearings. While your at it you should pack your wheel bearings and headset. The linkage is also important to grease but make sure you remember how it goes together because it can be pretty confusing once it's all torn apart.

No disrespect intended, but "your friends" are the one's that will bitch like hell about how crappy their bikes are when something go's wrong. Most problems can be avoided by maintenance. Personally, I believe "over maintenance" is cheaper in the long run. The side effect is it makes you learn your bike. Like the previous guy said, a tub of grease is cheap. Bedsides, it's an excuse to get out of the house and in the garage where men belong. Tell the old lady your saving money to allow her to get that new pair of designer jeans that makes her ass look smaller.

No disrespect intended, but "your friends" are the one's that will bitch like hell about how crappy their bikes are when something go's wrong. Most problems can be avoided by maintenance. Personally, I believe "over maintenance" is cheaper in the long run. The side effect is it makes you learn your bike. Like the previous guy said, a tub of grease is cheap. Bedsides, it's an excuse to get out of the house and in the garage where men belong. Tell the old lady your saving money to allow her to get that new pair of designer jeans that makes her ass look smaller.
haha x2:thumbsup:

haha my friend rides a ktm and thinks he had the best bike but when it breaks he complains how expensive it is....and no old lady here. im only 17...but theres always parents to get away from lol

Yeah its about time for you to pack your bearings with grease, you could wait a little longer with out much trouble. It is important to keep your bearings lubricated so they don't get shot. A tub of grease is a lot cheaper than new bearings. While your at it you should pack your wheel bearings and headset. The linkage is also important to grease but make sure you remember how it goes together because it can be pretty confusing once it's all torn apart.

i did the swingarm bearings and the wheel bearings,

ill leave the linkage for another time when i have more time...

Its very important to regularly grease all bearings and pivot points.. I have 74.4 hrs or so on the meter on my bike right now, heres a little story.

At zero hrs I took everything apart and re greased with good maxima grease - swing arm, linkage, axles, steering stem - the whole 9 yards.

When I serviced my shock at 40 hrs (fresh oil) I re greased the lower shock bearing, it was due for service.

Now at 73.1 hrs, I though I better re grease all of the stuff on the bike. What I found:

Lower shock bearing was completely dry and I needed a new one. Luckily the honda dealer had the bearing and collar in stock :) -- They weren't too expensive either, about $9 each. All of the rest of the linkage bearings and swing arm weren't horrible but could use a cleaning and re greasing. I did that. My thoughts were that I was doing quite a bit of rain riding the last two rides before I re greased everything and found the surprise of it being dry. -- Riding through puddles, water crossings, riding in rain, etc. That probably messed it up big time.

So after rain riding I personally would re grease the lower shock bearing, easy and quick to do.

And with the bearings greased the suspension felt better and way smoother when pushing down on the rear end of the bike. And today at the track I think that the suspension worked smoother and better :D

It hardly costs you anything, you can get a tub of maxima grease for 8 bucks. Just costs you your time. And the tub will last you mulitiple re greasings. Just your time really is all that you are using.

I also re greased the steering head bearings. It was a good idea to do them as well.

So, moral of the story, re grease your bearings, your bike will work better.

Its very important to regularly grease all bearings and pivot points.. I have 74.4 hrs or so on the meter on my bike right now, heres a little story.

At zero hrs I took everything apart and re greased with good maxima grease - swing arm, linkage, axles, steering stem - the whole 9 yards.

When I serviced my shock at 40 hrs (fresh oil) I re greased the lower shock bearing, it was due for service.

Now at 73.1 hrs, I though I better re grease all of the stuff on the bike. What I found:

Lower shock bearing was completely dry and I needed a new one. Luckily the honda dealer had the bearing and collar in stock :) -- They weren't too expensive either, about $9 each. All of the rest of the linkage bearings and swing arm weren't horrible but could use a cleaning and re greasing. I did that. My thoughts were that I was doing quite a bit of rain riding the last two rides before I re greased everything and found the surprise of it being dry. -- Riding through puddles, water crossings, riding in rain, etc. That probably messed it up big time.

So after rain riding I personally would re grease the lower shock bearing, easy and quick to do.

And with the bearings greased the suspension felt better and way smoother when pushing down on the rear end of the bike. And today at the track I think that the suspension worked smoother and better :D

It hardly costs you anything, you can get a tub of maxima grease for 8 bucks. Just costs you your time. And the tub will last you mulitiple re greasings. Just your time really is all that you are using.

I also re greased the steering head bearings. It was a good idea to do them as well.

So, moral of the story, re grease your bearings, your bike will work better.

good story.

ill show it to my friend and maybe he will take care of his bike a little better

and ill do my steering stem next time i have a chance.

i also used the tub of maxima grease