Sign in to follow this  

New WR250f, New here, New Questions?

Hi from sunny England, Notttttt. Great site and loads of information :)

I just got a 2006 WR250f from my local dealer. Bike is two years old but never sold so picked it up for a good price. I have shortened the throttle stop screw and removed the baffle in the exhaust can. I have been reading about the grey wire modification, but can anyone tell me if I will loose bottom end torque if I disconect it? Also I find it almost impossible to select neutral when I have been riding and come to standstill. I have read the problems experienced by other riders and feel somewhat dissapointed that my new bike has this problem. It only has 30 miles on the clock so do you think it is something to do with the oil in the bike, I understand that it is only mineral oil that Yamaha use in a new engine to help it bed in. Will the clutch improve after the first service and further use or do I have to start looking at the 75 cent clutch modification :D ?

Any other advice re running in and when the oil should be changed initially much appreciated. I have not got the service workshop manual as the dealer lost it and is ordering me a new one.

Ride safe:thumbsup:

Mermoto

Grey wire is a great mod, it makes the bike much more responsive. Power gains everywhere. Only downside is there may be times a softer 'hit' is desired.

Neutral difficulty is normal.

Change the oil after the first hour of riding then every hard day or about ten hours.

wow, I wish my 06 would not find neutral. I would charge up a hill, shift into 2nd, hit the throttle and, WRRRAAAAAAAAPP, RA RA RA Ra, oh poo. (my impression of the rev limiter)

grey wire selects a more subtle mid range map and is designed to work with the throttle stop, airbox and exhaust baffle.

simply unplugging it will select the yz-f map which is more aggressive and happens to come with a lot of wheel spin

there is a 19mm bolt(i believe) on your frame. it contains a wire screen, remove it and check for pieces of metal

Don't think U.K. spec bikes have grey wire connected in the first place.

Thanks guys. I haven't had chance to look for the grey wire yet but will in the next few days. I took a peek under the seat and noticed the small two air box inlets, I didn't remove the battery yet so can you tell me do the air box snorkels just pop out when the battery is out? Presumably it would also need to be re jetted to richen the mixture also?

Mermoto

You do have a James Dean jetting kit, ready to go it? I would not remove the snorkles till you do.

But when you are ready, here is what you do:

Remove the three philips head screw on the meal plate that surrounds the snorkles.

Remove the metal plate

Remove the snorkles (1 piece)

There are four (I think, its' been a while) philips head screws that were covered by the snorkle, plate, remove them. You might want to remove the battery to get at them.

The plastic top of the airbox that the snorkle was attached to can now be removed.

also, if you are one the seat looking at the bars, on your right side, look at the airbox, there will be 2 philips screw you remove from the side(your side number plate needs to be removed) and you pull of the side cover of the airbox.

you will see two large cutouts in the airbox. cut them out if you want some more air flow. then put the side cover back on

also, if you are one the seat looking at the bars, on your right side, look at the airbox, there will be 2 philips screw you remove from the side(your side number plate needs to be removed) and you pull of the side cover of the airbox.

you will see two large cutouts in the airbox. cut them out if you want some more air flow. then put the side cover back on

Not on an 08. Right side number plate and the airbox are one piece.

really, that sucks. so air is only supposed to go in from the top then. wow. sorry

He has an '06 though 👍

• Like 1

I Have an 08 and the number plate is not attached to the airbox. I just had it off to unplug the grey wire.

I Have an 08 and the number plate is not attached to the airbox. I just had it off to unplug the grey wire.

yup, there are no number plates attached to your air box.

but the side panel number plates on the 06... after they are removed, you can pull off the outter side of the airbox, and it has cut outs for air

👍

Go to www.thumperfaq.com It has all the mods to do for a WR. Some may not apply since you have a European bike.

If your's has the US type throttle stop, replace that with a YZ stop, or cut it down. (Take air boot off, look in carb and see if the throttle slide moves all the way clear of the throat at full throttle)

I hate the damn clutch in my 05 WR250F. Clutch grab, hard to find neutral, etc..

My son's 05 YZ250F is totally opposite of mine and his clutch is SWEEEET !

What's the difference between a WR clutch and a YZ clutch? 👍

1WRDAD

I don't know, but I do know the YZ has a much lighter flywheel, which might be the culprit.

I hate the damn clutch in my 05 WR250F. Clutch grab, hard to find neutral, etc..

My son's 05 YZ250F is totally opposite of mine and his clutch is SWEEEET !

What's the difference between a WR clutch and a YZ clutch? :excuseme:

1WRDAD

im new to this, begginer to intermediate ridder can do steep hills logs small(1.5-2.5metre jumps) but i ride trails on my 06 wr250f in AUSTRALIA, and i do many creek crossings, i should leave the air box alone shouldent i, and deep creeks aswell, but as for AIS does it improve performance, and will i need re-jetting? if i do it