Sign in to follow this  

Radiator hoses

Anyone blown a radiator hose or know if they should be changed after a period of time?

I have a 700 mile trip coming up and I am looking at some preventive type stuff.

• Like 1

I just replaced mine with oem. they were a little soft after 2 years and when I compared the sizes the were almost twice the size of new ones.

Anyone blown a radiator hose or know if they should be changed after a period of time?

I have a 700 mile trip coming up and I am looking at some preventive type stuff.

I'd have a couple of feet of generic hose in the same diameter zip tied to the frame under the seat. Even if you start with new ones............you could lose one at any time and for a 700 mile trip........especially if you're in bfe, you should be able to repair it.

Also, go over the hoses before hand so you know how to bypass a rad in the field........it'll get you back to civilization if you need to do it in a pinch.

FYI, the only time in my history of riding water coolers, and my kids on water coolers that I've seen a hose go was.........it either got caught on something and cut, or after a wreck. Never just had one let go.