which hi-temp silicone?

im trying to make a gasket for where my header connects to the midpipe...i saw some hi-temp silicone..but its op temps is 450F does it not get hotter than that on the header/midpipe point?

any suggestions?

Why???

If... the headpipe was meant for an S and the slip on was meant for a E, it will be a problem.

Sorry I cannot recommend any 'splooge'. I am fairly passionate about never using the stuff. Instead, I would engineer a proper gasket.

Anti-seize/copper slip is used when the two pipes fit very tightly together. It does seal slightly but more importantly, it enables dis-assembly.

You could put a exhaust clamp around it if the clearance is too big. Looks a tad ugly but will get the job done. Turn it so the threaded side of the u-bolt faces the engine, then it wont look to bad. Find them at almost any auto parts store.

now that I think about it a little more

my SM came with a yoshi slip-on and there was a lead baced gasket stuft in there to use a S stock header

I did some measuring with calipers to find out the furst owner installed a E slip-on so if I bot a "E" FMF head pipe it should have slipped rite in ( and it did with the normall perswation and 3 bad words )

I see guys doing this more and more and even thow I did it too I think it toatley sucks

I would love to buy a better exhoust but I do not have the money to do so

if aney newby is reading this

do not do this haph assed exhoust set up

just save up for 4 more months to get some thing far beeter

my pipes fit tightly...i ordered the copper stuff but cant wait 2 weeeks...

so does anybody know if the header/mid-pipe connection point get any hotter than 500deg fahrenheit on the surface??

By "the copper stuff" do you mean the silicon sealant, or the anti-seize? I think you want the anti-seize, which is good to 1800 F.

If your pipes fit tightly together, you do not need any goo. Most aftermarket exhaust systems use metal on metal slip fit joints with clamps. If you want to put some goo in there, I recommend some anti-sieze compound(copper or aluminum).