Sign in to follow this  

84 KX250 coolant in top of piston

Hi

i just replaced the piston and ring but only used gasket glue to re fit head and barrel after a few rides my son noticed collant spewing out he stopped

i took the plug out and notice coolant on the plug would this have damaged the head piston etc will i get away with installing a head gasket

cheers Phil

Coolant may well have found its way into the crank case too ... You MUST use a gasket and preferabley a new one everytime you take off the head. I use OEM gasket plus a smear of coppercoat to both sides - I think in the States there is a product by Permatex called Copper Spray a Gasket which does the same job.

If you have had a leak into the cylinder, wipe off any water you can see, then pour some 2 stroke oil down the sides of the bore and turn the motor over for a few mins by hand to get some of the oil into the crankcase. Get a new gasket asap - Not tomorrow TODAY, get it back together and get it running slowly for 5 mins which should get most of the water out of the crank, then take it for gentle 20 min ride. If it survives that you should be sorted.

If you leave it until next weekend with water in the crank you are looking at a bottom end rebuild!