Sign in to follow this  

How much could we safely tow?

My dad has a truck that we use for most/all of our towing with. I was wondering how much we could safely tow with it. Its a '03 Chevy 3500 CrewCab with a 6.6l DMax and dually. I have no idea what is done aftermarket, I do know however that he had his trans sent to a company called ATS to upgrade the clutch and other components to handle the added torque. All I know for sure is he has a CAI that sucks air from in front of the grill (actual cold air from outside the engine compartment) and a complete programmer. I ask this because he just got a new 5th wheel trailer rated at 14,000 lbs and it got me thinking if we loaded it to capacity and added the weight of the trailer itself, wouldn't we be over the limit of the truck? Thanks for the help.

Federal regs state that pulling ANY trailer with a GVW of 10,000 lbs or more requires a Class A CDL.

If your pulling over 10K and get into an accident and do not have a Class A CDL and a currant medical card things can get bad (worse than just an accident) in a hurry.

Federal regs state that pulling ANY trailer with a GVW of 10,000 lbs or more requires a Class A CDL.

If your pulling over 10K and get into an accident and do not have a Class A CDL and a currant medical card things can get bad (worse than just an accident) in a hurry.

I understand. Its like getting in an accident without a license at all.

Post your question at www.rv.net. They have a lot of members of the weight police over their that will offer sound advice.

Basically, follow what the owner's manual says. It documents max weight for the trailer, max pin weight and max weight for the entire setup (truck and trailer).

Not completely accurate. If is a commercial vehicle, then yes. Otherwise, no. check with your state regarding your states requirements. If anything over 10,001 required a CDL, then just about anyone pulling a boat or an RV would need a CDL.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/about/other/faq/faqs.asp#name22

Now that I have determined that I will be operating in interstate commerce, what do I need to do to begin? 57

A USDOT Number is required if you have:

vehicles that are over 10,000 lbs,

if you transport between 9 and 15 passengers (including the driver) for compensation,

if you transport 16 or more passengers, or

haul hazardous materials in interstate commerce.

How do I determine whether I am subject to FMCSA's safety regulations? 101

If you operate any of the following types of commercial motor vehicles in interstate commerce you must comply with the applicable U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) safety regulations concerning: CDL: controlled substances and alcohol testing for all persons required to possess a CDL: driver qualifications (including medical exams); driving of commercial motor vehicles; parts and accessories necessary for safe operations; hours of service; and inspection, repair and maintenance.

(1) A vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating (whichever is greater) of 4,537 kg (10,001 lb) or more;

(2) A vehicle designed or used to transport between 9 and 15 passengers (including the driver) for compensation;

(3) A vehicle designed or used to transport 16 or more passengers; or

(4) Any size vehicle used in the transportation of materials found to be hazardous for the purposes of the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act (49 U.S.C. 5101 et seq.) and which require the motor vehicle to be placarded under the Hazardous Materials Regulations (49 CFR chapter I, subchapter C).

I'm in Ca and here is what they say. Now this says 5th wheel trailer. How much is your ball rated to pull? 5000-6000lbs?

A driver must have a fifth-wheel recreational trailer endorsement added to his/her Class C driver license to pull a fifth-wheel recreational trailer over 10,000 lbs., but not over 15,000 lbs. GVWR, which is not used for hire. This endorsement is not required if the driver has a Class A or Noncommercial Class A driver license.

There is no fee unless your license expires within six months.

You will take a law test for a noncommercial Class A license based on the information contained in this booklet. You must also pass the Class C law test unless you qualified for a Class C license within the past twelve months.

You are not required to submit a Health Questionnaire.

You are not required to take a driving test to add a Recreational Trailer endorsement to your current license.

No other tests are required.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648pt5.htm

Well I looks like you've got an ATS tranny, which definitely helps put the power to the ground. It would depend what stage of tranny was installed, but with the clutch packs being upgraded, especially the weak C3 and C4 ones. I would turn the programmer up to one of the higher levels, watch your EGTs, and enjoy the ability to pass vehicles. YOu could install an exhaust brake like a Pacbrake to make downhill descents easier on the nerves.

It's an RV-just about every state outside CA has the fine print that allows anyone to operate an RV, regardless of license class, no medical card needed.

My dad has a truck that we use for most/all of our towing with. I was wondering how much we could safely tow with it. Its a '03 Chevy 3500 CrewCab with a 6.6l DMax and dually. I have no idea what is done aftermarket, I do know however that he had his trans sent to a company called ATS to upgrade the clutch and other components to handle the added torque. All I know for sure is he has a CAI that sucks air from in front of the grill (actual cold air from outside the engine compartment) and a complete programmer. I ask this because he just got a new 5th wheel trailer rated at 14,000 lbs and it got me thinking if we loaded it to capacity and added the weight of the trailer itself, wouldn't we be over the limit of the truck? Thanks for the help.

All the aftermarket add-ons mean nothing to safe towing capacity. It's not the power that limits most modern trucks towing capacity, but the suspension, brakes and frame integrity.

Your truck is rated for 12k lbs on a receiver hitch. 5'er hitch attachment is higher than that, but remember that this rating is with no cargo in the truck, no passengers, 150 lb driver and half tank of fuel.

Your truck is rated for 12k lbs on a receiver hitch. 5'er hitch attachment is higher than that, but remember that this rating is with no cargo in the truck, no passengers, 150 lb driver and half tank of fuel.

That means the reciever hitch is closer to 10K with a bed load of supplies, 4 people, etc. How much higher would the 5th wheel be?

That means the reciever hitch is closer to 10K with a bed load of supplies, 4 people, etc. How much higher would the 5th wheel be?

OK, I did some research and came up dry on 5'er ratings for a 2003 Chevy CC Duramax, but using your number of 12k rcvr rating.....

I did some fraction factoring, and the newest models GM has listed with the Dmax, 4 door, SRW, etc, has them showing 13k lbs tow rating on rcvr, and 14,600 on 5'er. Now, if the proportions are the same on your truck as the new stuff (a factor of 1.12~) this comes out to about 13,476 tow rating on the 5'er (before deducting for cargo, passengers, etc).

New GM trucks specs: http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado/specifications/

you can pull it. we pull loads like that with our dodge one ton(not a dually). Its not gunna be a ride in the park, but you can pull it.

when will people understand that there is a difference between "can pull it" and "can pull it safely"? As chickenhauler pointed out in this thread and at least 100 times in other threads, it's the braking and stability that dictate what you should pull.

when will people understand that there is a difference between "can pull it" and "can pull it safely"? As chickenhauler pointed out in this thread and at least 100 times in other threads, it's the braking and stability that dictate what you should pull.

Braking could be solved by a Pacbrake, the Dually rear end and a set of firestone airbags would solve stability.

Braking could be solved by a Pacbrake, the Dually rear end and a set of firestone airbags would solve stability.

The fact is that if you are overloaded beyond the rated capacity and you get in an accident, your going to have issues. 👍

Air bags, as I understand them, won't shift the weight back to the front axle. A WD hitch might be a better choice.

If the 5er is rated to 14K and it is totally packed and not over th erating (14K), then he would only be over by 500+ lbs by Chickens math. Pretty close considering there are tons of 3/4T trucks pulling 30-ft+ TH 5ers.

Only RV endorsement is needed. No other special liscense.

PacBrake is worthless for panic stops, which is where you really need stopping power.

Air bags, as I understand them, won't shift the weight back to the front axle. A WD hitch might be a better choice.

It's a 5'er.

If the 5er is rated to 14K and it is totally packed and not over th erating (14K), then he would only be over by 500+ lbs by Chickens math. Pretty close considering there are tons of 3/4T trucks pulling 30-ft+ TH 5ers.

Only RV endorsement is needed. No other special liscense.

CA is the only state that I'm aware of requiring an RV endorsement. OP is in NJ.

Okay so now pop's says the truck is rated for 16.5K at the 5th.. so I'm getting different numbers. This isn't urgent considering we haven't loaded it to full capacity nor are we planning on it in the near future. What I mean by 'can tow it' is ratings.. they make those ratings for your safety so its the same as towing it safely, no? Also I'm (the truck is partly mine in my dreams) not planning on towing over the rating then trying to make it safe with aftermarket items.. if the factory didn't equip it then I'm sure its not worth it.

Okay so now pop's says the truck is rated for 16.5K at the 5th.. so I'm getting different numbers. This isn't urgent considering we haven't loaded it to full capacity nor are we planning on it in the near future. What I mean by 'can tow it' is ratings.. they make those ratings for your safety so its the same as towing it safely, no? Also I'm (the truck is partly mine in my dreams) not planning on towing over the rating then trying to make it safe with aftermarket items.. if the factory didn't equip it then I'm sure its not worth it.

Is this a dually? Reason I ask, is the 08 & 09's aren't rated for 16,500, and it's rare to see a mfgr wussify a tow rating on newer stuff.

I'd say the 5'er rating is somewhere in the 14k range if it's a SRW, 4x4 CC truck.