Sign in to follow this  

DR-Z400SM wet road tyres

Hi, this is my first post so please be gentle with me, I've read bad things about the standard Dunlop D208 tyres on the wet North East UK roads and think my best choice would be either Michelin Pilot Road 2 or Avon Distanzia tyres (will the 150 fit the rear ?). Usage is daily commute and some weekend fun - and it'll probably be raining (again). Any advice would be most appreciated.

i had a bad experience last week on wet roads i was taking it easy taking a left hand bend abour 40mph slight lean and the back wheel moved from underneath me i call it "a loose arsehole experience" lol luckilyi didint change the throttle position and all was well but it did scare me.

i'd go for an Avon Pro Xtreme Rain on the front and a Distanzia on the rear.

I love my pro xtreme, holds up in all weathers :)

Avons.jpg

Thanks Headster

That front Avon Pro Xtreme Rain looks the business =- you've convinced me :)

they get a great review here http://www.motorbikestoday.com/features/Articles/avon_wets.htm

now what to do for the rear ? the Xtreme Rain is a 160 (too big maybe?)

so it's a 150 Michelin Pilot Road 2 or Avon Distanzia :D

guess your selection - Distanzia make sense - sticking with avons

Thanks Headster

That front Avon Pro Xtreme Rain looks the business =- you've convinced me :)

they get a great review here http://www.motorbikestoday.com/features/Articles/avon_wets.htm

now what to do for the rear ? the Xtreme Rain is a 160 (too big maybe?)

so it's a 150 Michelin Pilot Road 2 or Avon Distanzia :D

guess your selection - Distanzia make sense - sticking with avons

My avon Xtreme rain 160 fit. It is close but it fits. There is some pics of my Xtremes in my garage. They stick like glue and work well offroad aswell in the dry terrain.

I also like my Avon rain tire on the front. But on the rear they don't last long at all.So I use the 160-60 Scorpion Sync on the rear and like it quite a bit.

I have also used the Distanzias front and rear. The front Distanzia worked amazingly well and lasted a very long time. The rear Distanzia was also very good. However, my preference for the rear Distanzia is to run it backward. Works better in dirt that way. Also,running it backward puts the chevrons traveling in the same direction as the chevrons on the front rain tire.

Tony

Thanks you guys -

Hi DRZ400SuMo

WoW your bike's fantastic, 👍 how "close a fit" is your 160 avon Xtreme rain (any rubbing or shaving required)?

please tell me about the seat

Hi Tony

same question on the 160-60 Scorpion Sync - enough clearance ?

General Question - Is there a downside to fitting a 160 tyre on a 140 rim ? and a 60 on a 70 rim ?

its a 4.5" wide rim do a search you will see that 160's do fit the wheel but some 160's touch the chain.

Bighal,

Have used 2 Pirelli 160 tires the MT60 and the Scorpion Sync. Both were the same size as most other brands 150s. When it comes to 150, 160 and 165 tire designations, for each brand they're different. Seems like with my SM I can go to around 6 1/4" without any rubbing. Check the brands website. Some give lots of info on their tire sizes others don't.

As to your general question re. the 60 and 70 designation, that applies to the depth of the tire. A 150-60 would be as wide as a 150 -70 for the same brand, but the 70 would have a larger dia.

Tony

Avon Distanzias FTW. I've commuted all winter long with them in Seattle, which means rain rain and more rain. I could clutch up wheelies rolling out of my driveway in the rain and 45-50 degree temps. I could roll stoppies in the same conditions. They just plain stick, wet or dry. And they work great on gravel roads etc. I highly recommend them and think they are the ideal SM tire for all conditions.

Full rains will work better in the wet, but wear out very quickly in the dry, even on a light SM bike. Sport tires may get marginally better grip at the very edge of traction, but won't do as well in the wet and definitely not as well offroad.

OK - Many thanks to all you guys for helping me make a decision (and the wife - who thinks we're all so sad and has expressed concerns that I appear to be getting a rubber fetish with men from all over the world) 👍

and the winners are ..........

front - Avon Azaro Pro-Xtreme Rain AV49-SP SM 120/70R17 Rain

rear - pirelli scorpion sync 160/60 R 17

thanks again to all

Hi, New poster here, which would be the best for lasting longer on the road, the standard one(Dunlop D208) is shot at just over 2000 miles, not very good as I don't fly about anymore. Any help would be appreciated as I use the bike daily to commute.

you riders in other countrys doesnt the dunlop mutant perform well in wet rides

i'd go for an Avon Pro Xtreme Rain on the front and a Distanzia on the rear.

I love my pro xtreme, holds up in all weathers 👍

Avons.jpg

how does that set up hold up on dirt roads?

Hi, this is my first post so please be gentle with me, I've read bad things about the standard Dunlop D208 tyres on the wet North East UK roads and think my best choice would be either Michelin Pilot Road 2 or Avon Distanzia tyres (will the 150 fit the rear ?). Usage is daily commute and some weekend fun - and it'll probably be raining (again). Any advice would be most appreciated.

Easy Maxxis Goldspeeds 120/70/17 front and 160/60/17 rear really good in the wet as well and look great on the bike give AAA Racing a buzz 👍