Sign in to follow this  

Fitting a supply for a GPS on my XR600R

Figured I'd write this up in case it was helpful to anyone else.

I wanted to tap a 12V DC supply off the bike so I could power my GPS unit, mobile charger or similar off the bike. Because it's all DC I figured I'd need to buy a single phase reg/rect and a large capacitor or a small battery pack.

After looking over the wiring diagram in the workshop manual and getting pretty close to buying a reg/rect I spotted that the bike was already fitted with one!

Seems that the euro bikes were wired differently and are mainly DC. Result!

After a bit of searching I found this thread which had the wiring diagram for an XR400 which was pretty similar to my XR600R.

I removed the headlight cowl.

2768585102_9203f14e1a.jpg

Cut and spliced the green (negative) and black (positive) wires from the reg/rect tapping off a couple of new wires.

2767739095_9fd23d245f.jpg

2768586932_ec5c01634e.jpg

Checked out the voltage with the engine wired in (14V and I'd got the polarity right)

2767742181_86ca9618b1.jpg

Then fitted an inline lighter socket and powered the GPS off it.

2767743107_cb9fc8e382.jpg

Seems to work really well though I won't be trying to draw any large loads off it given that I'm not sure what the stator is rated at.

It's a little dangerous to your GPS, if you make a big jump. It's better to put your bike on a stand and check the break cable.

It's a little dangerous to your GPS, if you make a big jump. It's better to put your bike on a stand and check the break cable.

Hi Rick. Good spot - that's something I should have spotted but hadn't done. The angle isn't as bad as it looks from the photo. The brake cable just rubs against the GPS mount a bit it doesn't loop over the top of it.

I did a bit of experimenation compressing the forks and lifting it on a stand and I'm pretty sure it won't loop over the GPS.

Nice write up, thanks.

No worries, always good to have feedback too 👍