Sign in to follow this  

New to XR650R..

Hey all, long time TTer but new to the XR world.. I recently picked up a 00 XR650R Idaho plate :) Im stoked.. Needs the normal stuff to make road ready for WA but otherwise looks to be in good shape..

What I was wondering, the previous owner has installed a K & N intake and a JD jet kit.. The bike has a hanging idle that seems to randomly cure itself with a quick twist.. Wondering if it may be involved in the jetting or perhaps just a gooey carb slide? Thought you boys might have some good info and tips in here.. We're pretty tight knit in the YZ 250 forum, I would expect the same mentality over here :D

Thanks

My XR had a hanging idle problem with break-in, and ive heard from a couple other guys that the XR's will do this with a fresh motor. But it went away over a couple rides:excuseme:

Thats the only thing i can think of, but there are a lot of knowledgeable guys on the XR650 forum, they just take a while sometimes:thumbsup:

Congrats on your purchase. :)

I'm not exactly sure of the cure to your carb ills, but I have seen this discussed several times on here. Try to search the 650 forum for "hanging idle" and see what that nets you. I'll bet will find your answer.

Congrats on your purchase. :)

I'm not exactly sure of the cure to your carb ills, but I have seen this discussed several times on here. Try to search the 650 forum for "hanging idle" and see what that nets you. I'll bet will find your answer.

Oh Duh :D

So, I suppose a good place to start would be to at least check the jetting.. :) If Im that far, I suppose Ill give the carb a good once over...

So, I suppose a good place to start would be to at least check the jetting.. :D If Im that far, I suppose Ill give the carb a good once over...

That would be the best start to fixing it.:)

Ok.. So I adjusted the valves and cleaned the carb last night, among a few other things. The intake valves were tiiiiiight.. No wonder it hung a bit an was tough to start... It has a 68 pilot and a 175 main which seems right from what Ive read.. But I didnt check the needle... The main thing Im concerned with now, is the K+N filter.. There was a nice layer of dust all the way into the carb throat.. :worthy: Suppose it will be adequate for a couple road rides, but dont want to take it dirtin just yet..

Any one want to trade me their stock air filter for my K+N?? 👍

Ok.. So I adjusted the valves and cleaned the carb last night, among a few other things. The intake valves were tiiiiiight.. No wonder it hung a bit an was tough to start... It has a 68 pilot and a 175 main which seems right from what Ive read.. But I didnt check the needle... The main thing Im concerned with now, is the K+N filter.. There was a nice layer of dust all the way into the carb throat.. :worthy: Suppose it will be adequate for a couple road rides, but dont want to take it dirtin just yet..

Ive got the stock filter still in the shop! It was oiled and put in a bag. Have a pic of the K&N? im quessing its a regular filter not a pod filter?

REPLACE THAT FILTER! No good offroad...Thats a common problem with the K&N's.

After going through the carb...did that fix the hanging idle?

I've had hanging idle on the bike while it was running just fine moments before and it was due to me loosening the boot between the carb when I was messing with it...Also sometimes people who don't know will run the throttle cables over the front of the bars and under instead of the back of the handlebars, That will put a slight tug on the cable if the wheel is sitting one way or the other. I know this is rare...but you asked so I'm giving all possible explinations (assuming the carb looks ok, thats the same jetting I found works best for me in West TN at 300MSL, 80-90F and 80% Humidity.)

Let us know hows it going now and we can get you running like a finely oiled sewingmachine (though it won't actually be that quite)

Ill let ya know tomorrow. I have a ten mile adventure to work :worthy:

Hon150, the filter is brand new and from what I can tell is a stock replacement.. Shoot me a PM 👍

I know this does not help your problem in any way, but I was wondering if you have the Baja Designs Dual Sport kit installed. I have heard raves about it, and was wondering if it was worth the price. "Makes the XR650R a KTM killer" I have heard. Love Hondas my last a XR650L, just like a little more, know what I mean?

Rode it this morning to work.. Unfortunately the hanging idle is still an issue even after a carb clean and valve adjustment.. :worthy: I didnt check the float though, perhaps thats an issue...👍 Where should I start with my mixture screw? I think Im at about 3-1/2 to 4 turns right now.. Doesnt seem to matter anyway..

And no, I dont have any baja designs.. Stock head light and tail light for now..