do the ktm 144's blow up alot?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if they blow up or not, but I was working the starts at our local MX race this weekend and saw a kid holeshot one moto with a 144SX against a good sized gate of 250Fs in the junior class (he was third to turn one in the other moto after being pushed out). He ran away with both moto wins.

That bike sure does haul a$$. Not quite like my 505, but it flat gets with the program! I think I could put up with a two stroke that had a few issues like that. The overall maintenance should still be cheaper than a 250F even factoring in the cost of a blow up or two.

• 3 weeks later...

i hav the new version of the 144, the 150. its no better, after about 8-10 hours its gone pop. top ring on exhaust side caught port and dragged.:worthy:

worst part is its only 12 days out of warrenty!!!?

i have pictures of the damage if any 1 is interested??

sent the complete top end back to dealer for them to look

funny thing is ktm changed the piston in 09 for better reliability:blah:

I'd like to retract my previous statement and go ahead and post these pics I took while taking the top end apart.

IMG_0533.jpg

IMG_0534.jpg

IMG_0537.jpg

IMG_0538.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0541.jpg

Rings just don't split in half with a strict maintanance schedule. This bike also has the updated piston in it as well as a brand new Hinson clutch in it (grenaded. 3 fingers on the basket broke off and took out the tranny). Back to the Japs! ?

it blows up as much as you want it to....break it in right and maintain the bike and you are good...

granted i probably only have 2 hours on my engine im not gonna worry about it blowing up. i ride like a sissy.

My impression is that the issue with the 144's is more complicated than just maintenance. Seems like some bikes blow up with less than 2hrs on the motor, but then, other machines don't have any issue. It'll be interesting to see how the 09's hold up.

My impression is that the issue with the 144's is more complicated than just maintenance. Seems like some bikes blow up with less than 2hrs on the motor, but then, other machines don't have any issue. It'll be interesting to see how the 09's hold up.

? i'm just not worried about my bike blowing up. theres a recall so if it does it gets fixed...for free. i dunno, im not gonna argue with you about. sure, almost everyone i know with a 144 had engine problems but ill take my chances because i love this bike.

If it's jetted for 50:1 from the factory and you ran it at 32:1 then you could have cooked it. The pitting around the perimeter of the piston crown is indicative of a lean condition. It looks like the piston in the picture has been exposed to detonation. Detonation will cause ring failure in a heartbeat.

i hav the new version of the 144, the 150. its no better, after about 8-10 hours its gone pop. top ring on exhaust side caught port and dragged.?

worst part is its only 12 days out of warrenty!!!:excuseme:

i have pictures of the damage if any 1 is interested??

sent the complete top end back to dealer for them to look

funny thing is ktm changed the piston in 09 for better reliability:blah:

Definently post up some pics. also is there any real difference between the 08 144 and the 09 150 sx