Sign in to follow this  

E petcock question

Ok I'm still working on the primary gear locktite fix - have ordered the new woodruff key from the TT store as my dealer cant source one here :D so we'll see whose arrives first! anyway I am fitting a new cam chain at the same time, so I've taken the tank off to get the cover off, no prob except that the petcock wont turn off, or rather when its off, petrol still comes out! :) Ive put a drill bit in the pipe for now. :worthy:

Now I guessing but expect the rubber seal inside the tap no longer holds tight, is this fixable or does it mean a new tap? the tap doesn't leak and feels tight, is this a common problem?

(cant take it apart for the moment on account of it being filled right up with gas)

Dan

Not sure if you can get petcock parts individually from Suzuki there.

In the US, the petcock is only available as a complete unit. However, many bikes share the same parts such as petcocks. It is entirely possible that if the parts guy has half a brain and is willing to use it, he could look on other parts books from Suzuki. finding the same petcock part number, then seeing if the parts are available individually.

Cheers William I think that's optimistic, but prob worth a try! The petcocks, or petrol taps as we call them! are also sold as complete units over here too, my replacement for my bandit would have been nearly £100 ($180) but I got a second hand one. I think I'm right in saying a yam one fits and is cheaper than the suzuki.

Dan

IIRC its just an oring in the petcock the switching of the lever just changes the flow thru the holes (ie reserve or main)

perhaps your oring is worn and gas is leaking by in the off position

I'm not sure, I think there are two holes in the body (reserve and on) and a hole in the tap to line up. The tap has an intereference fit against a rubber seal. The O ring just stops the petrol leaking outside the tap. Mine doesnt leak but wont switch off (no vacumm on the e version)

Dan

Cheers Rob. Ok just stripped mine down, and I've found the problem, the tap was all crudded up (as was the tank when I bought it but i didnt think to clean the tap 👍 the mating face of the tap is all gritty and has worn a grove in the plastic seal so that petrol trickles through all the time (I'll post a pic a bit later) I recon I'll get away with turning the washer over for the moment, but it shouldnt be hard to makew a new one if I can find a suitable piece of material.

Otherwise its the WR route!

Dan

A pretty sorry tap, after a few months sitting with petrol in it. tap.jpg

Believe me this should be shiny tapback.jpg

Note the worn channels in the seals washer.jpg

After not much thought I'm not bothering to clean it and will order a new one asap!

Dan