Sign in to follow this  

Engine/Transmission enigma - pls help

I don't know where else to turn with this one, but I have a really strange problem with my street bike (FZR600).

My original motor decided to commit suicide so I bought a replacement motor off Ebay (yeah, I know, that was probably my first mistake).

I finally got the new motor all connected up and it runs great!

However, this is where it gets weird...

1) The clutch action seems way too light, even at max adjustment.

2) Putting the bike in gear and releasing the clutch has no effect, the revs don't change, the bike doesn't move.

3) Putting the bike in gear locks the back wheel as though everything is properly connected to the motor, but engine revs make no difference. Tapping back into neutral frees up the wheel as expected.

The only thing I can think of is the transmission that is in the new motor has a missing drive gear, and the rest of the gears are seized. The motor is newer than my old one and looks like it's done a lot less miles, so it's hard to believe that this is the case.

Anyone have any other ideas what might be wrong? Could I get the same symptoms simply from incorrect reassembly of the counter sprocket drive plate?

Thanks!

u check the teeth on the crankshaft and primary driven gear, maybe there isnt enough pressure on the clutch pack, bad springs, missing discs and plates?

If it is the clutch, would that still explain why the back wheel locks when the bike is shifted into gear?

Luckily I still have a decent clutch in my old motor, so I could swap them out.

Do I have to drain the oil before I remove the clutch cover (the manual doesn't say).

I will take a look. Thanks for the help so far.

Following your advice, I took the clutch cover off but couldn't see anything obvious. I did notice that I could turn the hub by hand which I thought was odd, so I tightened all the spring bolts down, but nothing changed.

Then I noticed that the plates rattled. There was a little more than 1/8" play between them and where they mate against the hub.

I went to my broken motor and took the cover off that. No play in the plates and the hub would not turn. So I swapped the plates over.

Looking at the plates I removed, the one before the final drive plate was smooth (i.e. worn right down), so I suspect when the donor bike crashed it was still running and slipping the clutch for a while.

Anyway, after I buttoned everything back up, I had resistance on the clutch lever just like it used to feel. I knew that was a good sign. I grabbed my jacket, gloves, helmet and keys and started her up...

She's now up and running perfectly. I just took her up the street for a low speed test (but went through all the gears), and everything was wonderful and smooth. I just need to replace the gasket on that cover and torque everything up to proper specs.

Thanks for your time and advice, it's really helped me out :worthy:

:):D