Sign in to follow this  

Repairing CB 750 exhaust.

It's a 1975 CB with the original exhaust. 4 into 4. Small rust holes in the end where it tapers off. Any ideas on a repair? The rest of the exhaust is still in good shape.

Stainless wouldn't rust anyway... :D

Depends how big "small" is & how bad "good" turns out to be. If they aren't much more than say 3-4mm then you could try welding them up with a mig (or better, gas) kit. If the filler wire isn't enough to make good then ends of wire nails in the hole should close them up enough to get a bit of bird muck round them.

That said, they probably look fine due to the chrome - exhausts rot from the inside out so most likely if you try any sort of repair the holes will just grow & grow. Best of luck either way. :)

P.S. If it's just to get the bike tested for the road (MoT equivalent?) couldn't you just put some Gun Gum or similar exhaust paste in there when you get outside the testing station, just so they aren't blowing when tested?

I bought a new 4into1 system for my 1973 about 12yrs back, and now even it's rusted through...It's a daily rider here in the NWet.

I think I paid about $300 for the header and can.

Off topic but how do you like the bike? My next project (when I have a garage) is to build a cafe racer out of a CB750.

i didnt realize they were rust holes. should have read it better, any machine shop could probably do a good job of welding them up. u could get the chrome replated